internal fan not working

sahk

Reaction score
hi im looking to buy a passat, i know before you reply this is an audi forum but you guys have a wealth of knowledge of essentially the same car. im moving frrom an audi a4 1.8 to a passat 1.9 tdi 110 se. the only problem seems to be that the internal fan doesn't seem to work. it has climate control and the display for this works and so do the buttons but there is no circulation of air. im just wonderin if this is going to be a hard problem to fix or whether it is something more simple. other than that the car drives fine. any ideas????

thanks

shak

Yes this happened on my A4. It will most likely be the brushes on the blower motor (the carbon bits that apply power to the spinny bit). It's really easy to take apart, and with some WD40 you should be able to get it going again but it will pack up again. The problem is you can't get replacements.
The blower is made by Valeo, and I tried everywhere but you have to buy a new blower. I even tried using some alternator brushes but they were noisy and the fan did not blow as hard as it should.
A number of breakers yards said that because the fan is on all the time, the brushes eventually wear out and then you get a build up of crap on them which stops the fan working. They said as soon as they get one in it is sold instantly as they are £350 from Audi and/or VW (tried both). But I eventually got a new one from Audi 4 U for £200 (OEM Valeo unit). Tel: 01278-434141.
The part no. is 8D2 820 021.

If you were unscrupulous you could just clean the dodgy one up so it works and then swap the unit between the cars but that would be a bt mean. I'd knock the seller down by £350 and then get the cheap one and save £150.
Also make sure there is 12v actually getting to the blower, before taking things apart. You just need to remove the glovebox to get to it. I think it should be 10v+ depending on the fan setting on the cc.

i managed to get one for £150, but it seems to be under powered and noisy. it seems like it is a right hand drive motor. The supplier has got me to put it on reverse polarity and he said the bushes will ware out and it will speed up. To be honest hes talking crap because its the wrong motor, im gonna wait until i can get one from the scrap yard and change it over. At the moment its working and stopping the windows from steaming up.