Live in hope

• Thread starter imported_rosssummers
  • Start date
I

imported_rosssummers

OK, so the story goes like this..........
Head gasket went on my 1.8SE A4, which i took the time and effort to replace myself (with a lot of help). The coolant chamber was full of gunk where the oil had mixed with the coolant, which i flushed throughout the system several times. I had the head skimmed before replacing with a complete gasket set to ensure no further issues. Monitoring the oil and coolant over the next couple of weeks and it appeared ok. Checked last weekend and found that the oil had dropped considerably and the coolant was full of gunk again......NOOOOOOOO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I came to the conclusion that either the block was warped (Unlikely but possible) or the head was cracked. I have since been calling various breakers looking for a complete engine or a head.
Yesterday i called a very helpful chap who, after informing him of the symptoms, is adamant that my oil cooler is leaking and thus causing my problem. Finally to get to the point of this essay, i am asking how likely that is? I will remove the oil cooler and get it pressure tested anyway, but would like to know whether i'm holding hope over a long shot or whether it would be the first thing that should be checked?
Any feedback is very much appreciated!

One slightly depressed Audi Owner.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif