K04-015 for QTS

alex-qts

Reaction score
hi all,

havnt been around much as i have relocated to southampton for uni!

i have a 2000 a4 qts (180hp) with what i understand to be a k03s turbo.

the turbo is failing and leaking oil according to garrage, no power..., much slower car all in all. so i need a new turbo.

what i wanted to ask is: if i was to go for a K04-015 and get it fitted, would it:

A) work without ECU upgrade, even if it ran at 180-90hp?? or power band /torque diffrences?? or would it NEED an upgrade to work?

B) Be a direct fit?

i dont really care about increasing the power on a huge scale, but some small gains past 180 would be nice! at the moment its just not a good driving experience!

any adivce would be really appreciated as there is so much info out there and im getting so confuised with reading conflicting information.

also would anyone know a good supplier to get an original borg warner k04-015 on a tight budget? i really dont have the money to go down the "G" route either!

thanks for any help guys!

it would bolt streight on but you wont see any more power unless you got it remapped.

They're also about 7-800quid new

The other option for an almost-as-good upgrade is a K03-073 from a B6 A4 with the 190hp engine, which you might be able to pick up second hand.

thanks guys im going to look into the 073 and see what i can find. as im not going to remap it may be a better option.

although the power is not increasing would the k04 add better torque/spool up than the k03s. without remap?

cant wait to get the turbo in, then its only the leaky radiator to fix and she's back up and running.

also she is not handling good at high speeds, i think some of the joints are broken as its got the banging while braking noise. its got worse - now i can hear it when turning corners too!!

oh deer, what will be next....! dont think i could sell though, love her too much.!!

:blackrs4:

K04 will be more laggy i would imagine, as it has a larger turbine wheel and therefore more energy is required to spin it up.

If your keeping the car standard then fit any old K03. It seems the TQS models didnt get anything special, just a plain old K03-005 like most other 1.8T's. Only late 150hp DBW cars got the so called "k03s", which is acually a k03-029, and is fitted to ALL B6's bar the 190.

Any B6 turbo will be an improvement over stock, as all B6's had the K03-029 at least.

just found a k03-073 recon for £440 so might just go with that

its got 3 month waranty and all new parts, and pressure tested

cant remember if that price was including vat or not lol

K04 will be more laggy i would imagine, as it has a larger turbine wheel and therefore more energy is required to spin it up.

QUOTE]

Will be more laggy, had a KO4 in my S3, took a tad longer to pick up over the TQS.

If your keeping the car standard then fit any old K03. It seems the TQS models didnt get anything special, just a plain old K03-005 like most other 1.8T's. Only late 150hp DBW cars got the so called "k03s", which is acually a k03-029, and is fitted to ALL B6's bar the 190.

Any B6 turbo will be an improvement over stock, as all B6's had the K03-029 at least.

Thanks for info aragorn -- always wondered why our TQS only went to 208 bhp when the dbws all seemed to be close to 220 bhp !!

ummm.... so the turbo off my B6 TQ Sline would wake up the B5 a bit more..... and a KO4 on my B6.......