Turbo or V6?

bad-vw-boy

Reaction score
hi all i am in the market for an estate and a bit torn between the S4 2.7 V6 or a 1.8turbo i have a budget of around 5k give or take, now i know that the s4 is not the most economical car but having owned a VR6 vw i love the noise but need something slightly more practical..i e room what is the avg mpg for both? and what tax band would i be looking at, based on my budget i think i can get an avg milliage 2001 model...suggestion's and thoughts and any recomendations welcome...:thumbsup:

The B5 S4 is Bi-Turbo so a turbo also, the 1.8T is eaiser to work on if the turbos go on the S4 its and engine out IIRC. i would have thought you would need to spend a bit more that £5k for a decent S4 with FSH. if you do go for a 1.8T engine go for the 1.8 TQS as its a Quattro 4WD like the S4.

Last edited:
like the boys said mate, your gona need or than 5k for a good S4 and thats just buying it, th tax is cheap as its pre 2001 but you got to think of the running costs of the S4, trust me it aint cheap when it comes to these cars. if i was in the market now after having my S4 id be looking at the 1.8TQS as it will be alot cheaper to run i.e brakes, fuel, insurance.......

but you cant beat the S4 engine......amazing

keep us informed of wot your looking for

The other option ofcourse is a plain V6 quattro like the 2.8.

These are much cheaper as they arent an "S" car but obviously they arent turbocharged nor as fast.

I didn't think the 4motion came as a 1.8t only the 5 or 6 cylinders?

To the OP.

Depends what you want, 5k is the min you need for an S4 and that may buy you a working one, or may buy you a dog. 5K will buy you a very nice facelfit TQS and put some decent suspension and a remap on it with change. That will give you a car that handles and does around 30mpg with 200BHP reliable.

i only know this because there is a B5 passat 4motion Turbo estate round my ends. Slammed on 19" deep dish wheels. looks and sounds the poodles! :)

Four-wheel drive was introduced in 1997 as an option for the 1.8, 2.8 V6, 1.9 TDI and 2.5 V6 TDI engines; using a second-generation Torsen T-2 based 4WD system, which considerably minimises loss of traction Same as the A4, but the b5.5 on went to HELLdex ( Really Haldex, but i don't like it,lol)

Shamelessly stolen from wiki pedia

OT: like the new chill pill avatar, Mark

Edit: just noticed the BAN key as well, AWESOME!:ninja:

S4s are getting old. most of them are above 100k miles, so there are loads of components that will have become consumable due to age or mileage

my S4 was less than £4k. i therefore have tons in the budget for failures.

so far ive sorted the boost hoses and have done a cambelt/water pump/stat/tensioners change, and im still miles under £5k

i suppose that depends on whether you can DIY or not

i am not familiar with the 1.8t tqs..can any one give me a bit more info are there any for sale?

ahh i see you want an avant?
TBH 'average condition for year', not a good sign IMHO
you will be paying for this for years best thing is to test drive these cars before deciding which one to go for, the 1.8tqs are facelift a lot of S4's are pre face as mentioned before you will really need to spend a lot more on a S4 to get a good one, as i mentioned before if one of those turbos go its an engine out, dread to think what that will cost? 1.8tqs is pretty much and S4 besides the engine.

the black s4 is a bit iffey to me. the black wheels and grill make me think "chavved". id not touch it for that money

on ebay, there is a nogaro blue one for £5.5k buy it now, thats the only one id consider at the moment. it seems well looked after

can you get the 1.8 tqs in estate..like the idea .....but the sound of the s4.....ooooh to die for:blackrs4::s4addict:

the 1.8tqs IS available in an avant, the saloons are getting rarer, the avants are EVEN rarer but are around, be paitent and you will find one

spending more on the purchase cost of an S4 wont stop the turbos dying, unless maybe theyve been changed already
ahh i see you want an avant?
TBH 'average condition for year', not a good sign IMHO
you will be paying for this for years best thing is to test drive these cars before deciding which one to go for, the 1.8tqs are facelift a lot of S4's are pre face as mentioned before you will really need to spend a lot more on a S4 to get a good one, as i mentioned before if one of those turbos go its an engine out, dread to think what that will cost? 1.8tqs is pretty much and S4 besides the engine.

I was advising bad vw not a good thing seller stating average condition, I wasnt saying paying more will stop the turbos from dying, just pointing out that engine out job on the S4 if the turbo's go rather than in the 1.8tqs.

so if its engine out, id rather have as much budget left as possible to take care of the eventuality, hence my 2000 W S4 estate for £3800

and if it did come to that, id DIY it

so unless you have bag of money, dont buy an S4. S4s cost peanuts, so no one in their right mind would throw bags of money at it, so unless you DIY, is there any point in owning an S4, because who would buy a car and then spend the same value again doing repairs etc just buy a decent car for £10

I was advising bad vw not a good thing seller stating average condition, I wasnt saying paying more will stop the turbos from dying, just pointing out that engine out job on the S4 if the turbo's go rather than in the 1.8tqs.

thats a good deal you got there matt for a facelift s4 :yes:

2000 W facelift, santorin blue, white leather, bose, on nasty RS4 wheels but with a set of refurbed originals in the boot. genuine 114k miles, good service history etc but in need of some TLC hence my surgery threads

i had a play with the pas system yesterday and the OE jubilee clip things are dead, so ill sort that out tonight, put it all back together and itll be back on the road after its cambelt job

i might try and RS4 the air box tonight

I bought an X reg S4 avant with Mrc tweaks lowered RS4 alloys and 130 k FSH in september for £5275, I love it and have done 6k alreay in her!
So far Ive speant £150 on an MRC health check including hoses, £250 on a thorough service including gearbox oil plugs etc.
She also now needs the thermostat doing, rocker cover gasket and it makes sense to do water pump cam belt and tentions as thats due in February! So thats going to cost me a further £6-700! So no there not cheap but ****** good fun.

was that a car from pretty far up north? on ebay, bradford?!

i was so tempted with that car, if its the same one

thats the one! ive been in the car, it went for a shade more than i was looking to pay.

i got a blue one off auto trader for £4k and have since DIYd all the work

don't be put off by travelling to find a good car. I went from Edinburgh to London to get my tqs avant. Was only one of two cars (both pre2000.5 tqs avant) that I would have bought at the time.
I would always rather pay higher price for one that has been looked after than factor in the costs of repairing into a dog.

at the time I spent £6k on it, I would have gone another £500 to get it.
dread to think what I have spent on it since !

how long you had it jcb?

i went from essex to burnley to see the car ex t5 bought :S

not sure TBH.
think I got it in 04.
V reg with FASH and 67k on the clock when I got it. that sounds about right as I worked it out as about 11k a year since birth.

one lady driver...so the wheels had been refurbed...naturally!