Front components

The tweeters are fitted at the top of the door cards in the grilles.

I've retro fitted some to mine, but couldn't tell you the depth I'm afraid...

It's your lower speakers that you need to watch for as they are a RIGHT pain to get right!

yes they will fit with pulling the tweeters to the bare mount, you will need the speaker adaptors or better still make your own . but without proper builds behind you will loose most of the bass .

ps you may even have to make a custom baffle when using plastic speaker adaptors so the cone doesnt hit the adaptors and restrict cone movement

you thought of BOSE? theres always sets of bose speakers for audi's on ebay? would probably be easier to fit also.

Davie

You can only run Bose speakers with the Bose amp, which would then need to be completely rewired back to the HU as it drives the fronts and rears. Without the amp you will fry the HU as they are 2 ohm impedance.

i would like to replace my fronts and rears, can you tell me a good, brand new replacement set to buy, i don't want saxo slap my bitch up, just a nice quality sound, i would like to spend £100-£150ish on all four, and i would like them to slip in without having to get tim not so nice but very dim bad bwoy westwood to pimp em in for me.
its sounds a bit like a Christmas list for father christmas...you never no if my my lovely girlfriend will read this. i doubt it, socks more than likely.
Any help would be good, sorry to jack thread but think we might both want similar thing, NOT SOCKS

personally i wouldnt bother doing anything to the fronts, i tried this with adapters and putting 13cm alpines and it sounded worse! also worth noting the speakers fit onto the door cars and have a funny angle unless your going to make up some kind of MDF adapter (like Sir AndyMac) has done, as there isnt much room you will have to get it just right to fit. I would get a mono amp and sub in the boot also if you was thinking of upgrading the rear shelf speakers also i wouldnt bother as the the holes are square :wacko:, i took my rear shelf speakers out altogether to let the sub flow through the grilles, and put in 2 in the rear doors, sounds miles better.

HTH

cool so you should have the speakers in the rear doors, right?

I'll concur with everything said about front door speakers sounding cack. I had a nice set of infinities, and they sounded worse than the boggo paper nokia speakers that were in there. I ended up putting the nokias back and installing a sub/amp in the boot.

I find that now the main speakers arent having to handle as much bass, they go much louder without sounding crap, and the sub fills in the low end just nicely.

If you wanted to retrofit bose, you could always use an aftermarket amp thats stable at 2ohms, instead of using the bose amp. Probably sound a lot better too!

You can only run Bose speakers with the Bose amp, which would then need to be completely rewired back to the HU as it drives the fronts and rears. Without the amp you will fry the HU as they are 2 ohm impedance.

Thats a bummer, learn something new everyday.

Cheers Mate

feck it,
i'll just get plug my bose headphones in.

Just get a 3" turbo back system and listen to that.
never need a radio again

I like the look of those comps for the cost. I found using the adapters and then sound proofing the actual door card itself made a considerable improvement over std. As did running the comps form an amp.

6 channel, 2 x bridged for sub, and 4 x 75w RMS for the comps. worked very well and wasn't silly expensive either

Thats a bummer, learn something new everyday.

Cheers Mate

It wont fry the head unit just wont sound as good 2ohm is a bigger strain than 4 but yes the stock has no where near enough power .
If you really want nice sounds 13cm comps in front with a proper build behind door card for stealth or proper pods built onto the door card . plenty of dynamat . A sub and and a amp to run them , If you still want a bit or rear fill then upgrade the rears and run a 4 channel for the speakers and a mono for the sub .

on another note factory bose with a bit extra dynamating in the doors makes hell of a difference rather than just a small strip of factory soundproofing thats in ath the moment

You could quite easily fry the head unit.

With half the impedence you'll flow twice the current (and therefore power) and its quite likely that the standard amplifier inside the head unit simply wont be able to handle the thermal demands of this, and either pop, or if your lucky will just shutdown.

I run Focal components in the front of my 96 A4 and they are powered off a Kenwood PS-100 amplifier. It sounds more than acceptable and goes really quite loud

Just seen your updated Ebay link.

That's the exact same set-up I have in my front doors. The larger components were a pain to fit, but they squeeze in with a bit of modification. They sound deadening foam stuff needs cutting out to fit the cross-overs in though towards the rear of the door card.

They're not amazing on their own, but with decent shelf speakers and a 15" sub & amp in the boot, the sound is really crisp and clear. definitely worth a punt. Just get the rest of the system set up correctly and you'll be really happy!

If you're based near Grimsby, you're more than welcome to come and listen to my set-up...

Just seen your updated Ebay link.

That's the exact same set-up I have in my front doors. The larger components were a pain to fit, but they squeeze in with a bit of modification. They sound deadening foam stuff needs cutting out to fit the cross-overs in though towards the rear of the door card.

They're not amazing on their own, but with decent shelf speakers and a 15" sub & amp in the boot, the sound is really crisp and clear. definitely worth a punt. Just get the rest of the system set up correctly and you'll be really happy!

If you're based near Grimsby, you're more than welcome to come and listen to my set-up...

glad to hear they fit ok, I will get them this weekend.
I setup my sub at the weekend using the wiring from the rear speaker amp and a high to lo level converter as I wanted to keep the stock symphony head unit. I am going to be running the components off the same amp hopefully and wondered if I someone could give me some advice on the best course of action. Baring in mind I still want to keep the stock head unit for now. I'm not sure whether it's plausible to use an RCA y splitter from the level converter as i'm not sure if it will decrease the signal being sent to the channels on the amp and therefore affect the sound. I have also thought about using the output connections on the amp to hook up another amp to power the components but again, not sure how this would be as far as sound goes. I'm looking for the best possible outcome from the stock head unit using speaker level input's/converters so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Here's a link to a page where the manual to my amp can be found if anyone wants to look at it to help. It's the MT2004 one

Thanks

The stock headunit is crap. You'll not get anything out of it until you swap for an aftermarket unit. I have a relatively old Blaupunkt Munchen in mine and it rocks!

Rach has a '00 TT and the sound from that, even with the BOSE upgrade was shocking with the standard HU. Put her Sony HU in and it's like a completely new system. It's unbelievable!

Here's the HU I have in mine...

munchen.jpg

The stock headunit is crap. You'll not get anything out of it until you swap for an aftermarket unit. I have a relatively old Blaupunkt Munchen in mine and it rocks!

Rach has a '00 TT and the sound from that, even with the BOSE upgrade was shocking with the standard HU. Put her Sony HU in and it's like a completely new system. It's unbelievable!

Here's the HU I have in mine...

munchen.jpg

Is it easy enough to change the head unit? I was worried about changing it because I don't like the cheap look of the facia's which is why i went for wiring an amp into the stock speaker wire. I like the look of the symphony system and the fact that it's got a tape deck so I can listen to all my old tapes.

The stock HU has perfectly good pre-outs (RCA's) you just need the BLAU adapter to give you front and rear RCA's. Ditch the Hi to low converter running off that ****** little Nokia amp (shyte in shyte out I'm afraid).

ive done full systems with using the RE-Q5 and using the standard concert 2 and symphony . works really well

The stock HU has perfectly good pre-outs (RCA's) you just need the BLAU adapter to give you front and rear RCA's. Ditch the Hi to low converter running off that ****** little Nokia amp (shyte in shyte out I'm afraid).

Can you give me more info on this Blau adapter please mate. I'd like to keep the stock head unit if possible but agree that the hi to low converter doesn't give the clearest sound. I have done a lot of research on this and thought the symphony head unit didn't have any pre-outs which is why I went for the Hi Lo thing! If this isn't the case that is a massive bonus as i'm now thinking about replacing the head unit but don't want to have to do this if i don't have to...

ive done full systems with using the RE-Q5 and using the standard concert 2 and symphony . works really well

Interesting, ive heard of this before do tell more, how does this work? how complex is the install?
:music:

So what exactly does it do? Surely the pre-outs fed into a normal amplifier would work just fine, without some fancy gizmo...

it basically give you a flat signal to amp rather than when you turn it up loose all the bass and generally sound wrong . it also sums so for example when i work on bmws with crazy front set ups it will give me what i need to run all the amps needed for the system also as a little extra with the 5 you get a aux input which maybe useless to some but ideal for others . Oh and it boosts and cleans the signals too cause the audi and many others preouts are fairly low . Ive done both ways in a few different cars and with the Re-Q even when just adding a sub its so much better sounding oh and it gives out its own 12v remote switch on feed which in many cars can be a bit of a .. to find.

nice bit of kit, whats the prices of a 3 channel unit i.e fronts and sub me thinks? is it just a matter of taking out the plug/s on the O.E HU and plugging in? or do you have to splice into it?

you could make up a iso extension which just plugs in or you can just slice either way really , it doesnt come with any plugs tho . Retail is around £99 on that one . They are set prices in the UK