HID MOT Shocker!!!!

jcb

Reaction score
Well my motor passed the HID MOT test with flying colours, no mention of self levelling or washers. I would like to put that down to the super clean and stealthy James Bond install rather than my mechanics lack of knowledge but..
it still failed on two ball joints!!!!
been about 3.5 years since they were replaced which seemed a bit pants even considering the stiff as hell set up and driving like I stole it abuse it gets on a daily basis.

where does everyone get the Meyle units from?

is at one of the top ones thats away by any chance?

i ordered mine from germany as it was cheaper, but allgerman would probably sort you out if its only for a few bits.

nearside front top plus lowers
offside front lower

nearside rear lowers

how many are there and how much was the German set?

i just got the febi bilstein ones so hopefully they last. should do. only thing is they dont do top arms for sport models or something so i got some other make of top arms so if you go for them just get a set for a normal a4 and they will all be febi. i wanted to send the top ones back and get the febi ones but they wouldnt as thats not what was listed for my car. they did say if i had any problem with the top ones going within a year i would get replacements so time will tell if they are good or not.

I had Delphi ones fitted without realising...
won't be doing that again

any one got linkys to a decent front arm set please? i need some for mine.

Cheers! :)

where does everyone get the Meyle units from?

but allgerman would probably sort you out if its only for a few bits.

yep got mine from Allgerman Link to the arms etc very quick next day delivery on Lemforder which are pretty much O.E, i could just make out the four rings lightly grinded off. He can be a bit flexiable on price tell him got recommended off the forum, should give some sort of discount?

If you really want Meyle i think he has to order these in and take a bit longer, give em a call.

with my new arms the bigger top ones are curved where the old ones were straight. anybody know why they changed it? I thought it was more expensive than £345 for a full meyle kit. Maybe i should have just went for that instead of the febi ones.

Mine passed the mot headlamp test too with aftermarket hids in the low beam projectors and in the high beam reflectors.

I thought the high beams would be an issue but they passed it no probs, even had led sidelights!

:)

Up till now I've never had an MOT issue with aftermarket HIDs even they were installed in 2006.

Aftermarket HID's are not a fail, you could have mounted the igniter packs on the bumper. And neither are led sidelights if they emit the correct colour.

not according to the MOT guru.
HIDs without self levelling and washers are a fail apparently

anyway, I am £345 lighter after a Meyle front arm kit!

I thought they may be a fail but could not find anything in the handbook to fail them on, I've had to pass all of them so far, will check the fail criteria again tomorrow and look out for self leveling.

Definately not a fail for mot, these items are only needed for tupe approval.

Just because a vehicle can pass and MOT does not mean it meets all the legal requirements to be used on the road.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

That tells you everything you need to know.

The letter of the law says its illegal unless you use type approved lamp housings and have the prerequsite self levelling and washing systems in place.

Mine passed with HID's in... though my high beam was all over the place due to a misaligned bulb, but it wasn't a fail point, so went through with the tester just mentioning it to me.

The levelling on the HID's was perfect apparently *virtual self-pat on back given*

Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

That's all I can find that is relevant to us...

i have a headlight washer.
he is 5 and his name is Sam.

as for self levelling, I have a little wheel that I adjust mySELF.

DONE

allgermanparts.
carriage free next day delivery.
boy is a legend

BTW, I bought the kit but don't need all of them.
If anyone needs odd bits please PM me, will know which ones are surplus to requirements by tomorrow.

you would be as well replacing all of them if the rest have been on a while,at least you know its all good for ages then.

I have better C links and the rest have been polybushed.
It is only the ball joints that have failed on the ****** delphi units.
I am replacing the bushes on the new items with the powerflex ones I have on as they are still looking pretty mint.

I don't need track rod ends either as they are already pretty new

so a few bits and bobs to eBay if no-one here wants them

dont forget to get the car tracked asap after fitting it all

already requested.
I have some new concentric nuts and bolts for the rear also so may even get a way with a bit of wide boy negative camber!!