TDI 110 lost the turbo for a few minutes????????

benny-g

Reaction score
Hi, i have a b5 2000reg tdi 110 with 150k on the clock. The other day i dropped the girlfriend off at work, car had been idleing for a minute and then i drove off only to find i had no power, the car struggled to hit 40 odd with no acceleration whatsoever. It felt to me like the turbo was just not doing anything, but im no mechanic. After about 3 minutes of driving the car came back to life and has done a couple of hundred miles now without a glitch. What could have caused this?? I dont understand why it happened and dont want it to happen agin, any advice would be much appreciated?

Thanks in advance

Ben

sounds like it dropped into limp mode for a while, my tdi 90hp caddy van did it when the turbo was dying, and overboosting. if it does it again pull over and turn off leave for a few seconds and restart it should clear itself. however you obviously have a problem and will have to get any codes read that should point you in the right direction, if it comes up with positive boost deviation thats what mine did just before the turbo went bang , very spectacular but not recommended.

So does this mean i should go and get it plugged into a diagnostics kit asap?

yep.

Its sometimes just the vanes on the turbo sticking, or one of the pressure control valves, or even some split pipework.

a scan with vagcom will get you started, where abouts in the UK are you.

In Droitwich Spa worcestershire for today and tomorrow and then back to Leeds on Wednesday where i live.

Ben,

You say it strugled to reach 40 mph?
Even without any boost the car should reach over 70 mph without issues - however a lot slower than with boost.

Do you get any strange rattles from the CAT by the turbo?
Only asking as mine did this and it was the inside of the CAT breaking up and clogging the exhaust pipe - hard to get above 30 mph.

Eventually I removed the CAT and the inside had worn to the size and shape of a tennis ball. Removed this and replaced the CAT - All ok now.

Jim.