Engine flush with diesel

voteforpedro

Reaction score
I'm gonna change the oil on my 1.8T. I heard flushing it with a little diesel is a good idea. Can someone talk me through the process please? :)

Warm the engine a little

Drain some of the oil out and refill with derv, probably best to go no more than 50:50.

Restart engine, and run at 1500rpm for 10mins then shut it off

Drain oil out, refill with fresh oil and fit new (primed) filter.

You may find the new oil becomes black very quickly, so it might be an idea to do the next oil change sooner than usual.

You can choose the concentration depending on how manked up the engine is. If the engine is cared for and gets regular changes it shouldnt need it at all, however if its been neglected it might need the full 50-50.

Off the shelf flushes usually give around 300-500ml of "flush" so if you just want a gentle clean out then half a litre of derv is probably fine.

And which oil do you recommend? I was tempted by the Fuchs 10w40 semi from GSF. I don't service it very often so want some oil that won't need changing too quickly...

Well you will want fully synthetic oil then.

I just buy the cheapest 5w40 fully synth the factors has, but then i change it every 5-6k.

ive never done a diesel flush before, but im a strong advocate of the auto gearbox fluid cleaner