Are Bilstein B6's worth the extra???

Nige P

Reaction score
I have a 2.8Q Avant '99 on 120k miles. Just had all the suspension linkages renewed and was amazed at the improvement in handling so am now looking to change the dampers & springs as they are still the originals.

As this is not a 'sports car' I'm not looking for track type handling but I do appreciate a a reasonably sporty ride as opposed to whofting about like in a Mondeo. I know the consensus is for the Eibach Pro spings which I am happy with, but I can either fit Bilstein OEM style B5 dampers or the B6 Sports which are 150% dearer!

80% of the time I'm commuting on 'B' and back roads so pretty bumpy and still enjoy the drive, when not in a hurry, so I figure the B5's would be fine. Buuuut, The darker side of me would like the firmer B6's but I am struggling to see that the price difference is worth it especially as I won't be using it on fast 'A' roads & m'ways too ofton.

Those of you that have fitted them, at what point do you think they are 'great', m'way? A roads, running the kids to school??? ie is it worth me waiting an extra few months to save the cash or just go for the OEM's??

Hi Nige, 1st off as you have had the linkages changed and due to get the dampers changed IMHO i would recommend get the car tracking sorted.

Right i have a 2.4 V6 and have the Eibach Pro Kit Springs and the Bilstiens B6 which are an excellent match. the shocks give a slightly firmer ride to standard SPORT shocks mine where SE spec so a lot firmer but definatley not crashy.

you will feel the ride bumpier if the road surfaces are bad on motorways and cornering are miles better, not sure about B5 Billys so cant comment. whats the difference in prices B6 and B8's? B8s have a shorter unit so you can lower the car more with lower springs if required.?
PM DPM performance (one of our site sponsors) for prices and another forum member Siena who can get the at a discounted price.

get the car tracking sorted
Already on the case, but it couldn't be done as the tie rod adjusters are siezed so collecting new ones tomorrow.

I think you have answered my question guys, have read that they are "slightly firmer" and "alot firmer", and as I don't wont 'alot firmer' was a bit wairy. But I reckon the 'slightly firmer' guys originally had the SPORT suspension and the 'alot firmer' like yourself RAS with the stodgy one.

Don't have the readies yet Damian, but should you be in a position to offer a cracking deal then please let me know!