Has anyone seen pre face on this reg?

yes agree with the latter

Looks very dodgy. I doubt anyone would go to great lengths to swap all the parts from a pre-facelift into a facelift car. That makes no sense.

Its either a ringer (ie take the ID from a crashed A4, and stick them on a stolen A4 then sell it as a good car)

Or its just an old car thats sat around in some dealers forecourt for ages before being registered.

VIN number would tell you the story, if its a 2000 MY VIN then its likely rung, if its a 1998 my VIN its just been sat around somewhere.

I once saw a facelift A4 on an R plate. It was near where I live in Liverpool though, so probably bent as a nine bob note! :)

There is an 04 plate B5 RS4 around somewhere. Can't remember if this story goes with that car, but if it's the one I'm thinking of then basically the car was pinched off the Dealer's forecourt brand new and unregistered, used on false plates for years, then recovered. It wasn't officially registered until 2004.

I once saw a facelift A4 on an R plate. It was near where I live in Liverpool though, so probably bent as a nine bob note! :)
Probably a private plate transferred from another car?

Looks very dodgy. I doubt anyone would go to great lengths to swap all the parts from a pre-facelift into a facelift car. That makes no sense.

lol! TBH though mate, I had thought of doing exactly that, if i were to get another a4, and it ended up being a pre-facelift, I would put my facelift lights, bumper, etc on it. (yes, i would be that sad!) XD

As for a private plate transferred, that would still be illegal, unless it was 2000 registered. The car has to be older, or the same age as the plate, i think.

Probably a private plate transferred from another car?

As for a private plate transferred, that would still be illegal, unless it was 2000 registered. The car has to be older, or the same age as the plate, i think.

I was referring to Blue Thunder's post :busted_cop:

id say its had a whack at some point and repaired which salvaged parts(had to tell for sure but the bonnet looks a different shade to the wing(s)

still defo a pre face lift car, smaller indicator, old style console, handles, front and rear lights etc.....

I've had a few dealings with pre-facelift models that were exported new to the far east, Malaysia or Singapore I think, then imported into the United Kingdom as used cars, but been given the wrong age related plates & recorded as new, when registered at DVLA. I know this can happen, my A4 was registered in Northern Ireland in Jan 1999, but when I registered it at DVLA in 2001, they cocked up, it was given a age related plate, but they recorded it as a new vehicle, so when I get insurance quote or give the reg number for parts etc, it shows up as a 2001 model.
I'm not saying this is the case for this one, but DVLA do make mistakes.