Strange rumble - Please help guys

andy110m

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm in need of some advice. My 2000 S4 makes a rumbling noise from the rear when turning tight slow corners and coming back to center. Normal day to day driving its not noticable only when turning into a parking space or the driveway etc. I only thought it was coming from the right but Kevin yesterday told me he noticed it turning left.

The car has just had new rear upper arms fitted and just passed an mot where I asked the guy to have a good look.

Any ideas? I've thought about the wheel bearings but surely they'd make themselves known in a straight line?

Searching other forums a similar sounding problem was resolved with new strut bearings at the top of the shock. I didn't think the S4 had those, instead mounting in that casting thats mounted to the body

Thanks for any input and ideas

Bearings are common to be noisey, one of mine is. They load up more when the car is turning due to weight transfer and load.

the Diff can rumble, but more often will whine tbh. Are there any tell tale signs of oil leakage on the diff seals?

This was a deep rumble though kinda like the noise: "gugugugugugugu" rather than the "smooth" rumble a bearing makes.

If i had to pick a component i'd say CV joints. Maybe its the front end and the sounds somehow transferring thru the driveline, or maybe it is a rear joint and its just getting loaded up oddly when your on full lock, its really hard to tell.

Find yourself a nice open bit of ground and just have a check to see if it does do it in both directions.

Perhaps seeing if you can replicate it while parked, by jacking up one wheel (tranny in neutral) and see if you can feel any of the rumble thru the wheel?