Heater problem

stub

the matrix is comin
Reaction score
hi all hope you can help.
my heater just won't get hot. it seams to get warm then drops off a bit to tapid temp.

i drain the water bout 2months ago when i was servicing it but i sure i got rid of any air locks. but could be wrong. what else could it be?:sos:

Was the heater ok before you drained it? if so probably still have an air lock
i know would have been difficult to know as the weather was ok.
does the temp gauge ok in the centre when car has warmed up? could be the thermostat?
what engine is your b5?

Sounds airlocky to me.

To bleed the matrix (well to bleed the entire engine) you half remove one of the heater hoses so that the hole in the hose is exposed. Air will exit via the hole and eventually water will come out, at which point you refit the hose fully and redo the clamp.

Should be obvious which hose has the hole, its longer, and the hole is highlighted in white.

Assuming the car heats up to 90 on the temp gauge then it has to be an airlock, or a clogged matrix. I would back flush the matrix and then put new g12 and water in, bleed, job done

its a 1.8t b5. as far as i know the temp is ok. my gauge always reads 65-70. but i know why that is. i'm going to look at it on monday and hope i'll find whats wrong. thanks for all your help

The guage should sit at exactly 90c once its up to normal temperature.

If your sat in traffic with it idling does it climb up to 90?

the sender at the back off the engine is starting to play up. i was wondering if it was the themosat. but like i said i drained it all an was wondering if it is a air lock.