ABS gurus required

jcb

Reaction score
have the dreaded ABS light.
VAGCOM sees nothing. I don't mean "no faults"...I mean nothing.
Am I being paranoid or does that mean the ABS controller is dead?

where is it and how can I check?
could this be disabled with a blown fuse? (no I haven't checked that yet, its dark outside!)

how much is a new one likely to set me back?
****** MOT is up next week!

sounds like it is the module on the pump if it cant comunicate with it. can send it away and get it fixed for about £100. you might get a second hand one but these ones seem to be hard to come by. i had the same problem a while ago.

seem to remember your post.
faffy job is it?
off the road whilst out?

nah not bad to do. you get in by removing the passanger side splash quard and moving the washer bottle out the way. you dont have to remove the splash gaurd completly but petty much. you can still use it with the module bit removed.

definitely lights in the dash!
more lights than Blackpool illuminations!

sounds like a replacement to me.

will let you know

Yeah I'd 2nd that, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppp, shut the feck up, lol

Yeah if you cant communicate, then its either a fuse, wiring or unit gone, cant be anything else, I'd look at the cheapest 1st of course, fuse, wiring then unit, even possibly its got water into the connections (unlikely, but not impossible) thats got corroded, but given time of year wouldnt rule it out, get meter on wires incase its been damaged further up the line.

nice one thanks.
will have bash at that.

ETKA gurus:
Will a ABS module from a 97 V6 Quattro fit my 99 1.8t Quattro?

it jams the brakes on at the spinning wheel to keep it in check to push power to other wheels.

I think,lol

it acts across each axle to try and replicate what a locking diff would do if it was fitted in the front/rear axles.

So if the rear left spins up for example, it will apply the brakes on that wheel, to attempt to transfer some more torque to the other side.

Well, I finally got round to whipping the ABS controller off, sent it to BBA on Tuesday night, received Wednesday with no promise I would see it again before the following Tuesday.
Get a call Friday, its done, UPS 24 hour service and it arrived this morning.
fastest ABS Controller fitment and all lights have gone.

big hand for BBA, not only did they turn it around in 2 and a half days. they went out of their way to get it back to me before I go away for a week.

£100, 2yr guarantee
baaargain

i did this through a local mechanic last year, admittitly the guys an idiot as i've later found! he head scratched and prophised about doom an audi gloom so i took her to AmD, new maf new cats an she was a flyin machine again? pretty predictable i thought...
Anyway same story sent the unit away replaced it etc everything seemed fine till today yet again that F*ckin bbbeeeeeeeeeepppppppp an the annoying ABS light....i know they all seem bad but is a recoditioned unit any less liable to fail or is this gona be a yearly project? first time round it would happen maybe every other time i started her now its gone from fine to rock solid....
she's only done a couple oh hundred miles since it happened last! she's been sittin in a heated garage since december we the optimiser on....

is this just a typical new unit job? i'll check the fuse/wiring/vagcom next but isnt looking good??
Any glints of hope here lads or same over again?

gettin hope from this guarantee info... will have to see who servised my unit and see if they offer anything....