suspension confusion?

jiggaman

Reaction score
Hi all. I've gotta '96 A4 1.8t sport and am looking at upgrading my suspension as my rear shocks are nearly dead. I'm steering clear of coilovers so looking at spring and damper kits. My budget is around £300-400 and i've got my eye on some Koni STR.T's but so far every kit i've looked at for 1996 a4 1.8t excludes the sport model...? Don't quite understand this as i will be changing the shocks and springs so why does it exclude my model? Sorry if i'm not making sense but surely someone has come across this? Thanks.

It's just that the sport sits 20mm lower than the normal model iirc. If you can stretch a little bit £400 should see you with some Bilstein dampers and allow another £140 for some Eibach springs and you're in business

Thoroughly recommend Bilstein B6 and Eibach Pro Kit Springs like sport shocks but a bit firmer nice ride quality

So technically if a kit says it lowers say 40mm,on the sport it will lower just 20mm? Taking into account that the stock height is already 20mm lower than non sport models

Im doing a suspension swap at the mo, cos 1 of my rear springs on my QTS Avant is broken. Std sport audi shox are on back order (last saturday) in Germany, Std Srpings are stealer part only.
GSF say the sport suspension is stealer part only but....
Euro car parts and supplied me a pair of billes for about £100 each....
I think I will sort the fronts out next year £$£$£$£$$£$!
See suspension threads......

I've not used the full koni kit, but i had a set of adjustable koni sport dampers on my old astra and found them pretty decent.

They're now sold as "Koni SSK" though, the STRT ones wont be as good.

Slightly out of your budget though. :(

The other option might be to buy some eibach springs and a pair of koni sport/bilstein B6 rear dampers for now, then once you've saved up some more, you can buy the front dampers?

I've read a few other posts regarding suspension. I've noticed a few people talk of Bilstein B8's. Would these be better than the B6's?

The only difference is they're shorter, afaik.

So if your lowering your car stupidly, and need the extra travel, B8's are better.