Why cant Englandshire make good Fish Suppers!

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So i've recently moved to lancashire from scotland, and am having a really hard time finding a chippy anywhere thats actually half decent.

In scotland your tripping over the damn things!

Down here they're either shut by half-6 in the evening, or produce a pile of soggy crap. I've also never found one that does the equivalent of a "Special Fish Supper", which is fish, in breadcrumbs instead of batter, with chips...

So whats the deal? Is england really just completely rubbish for chippys? Isnt it supposed to be englands national dish?

Whys it so hard to find a fish with breadcrumbs instead of batter?!

And whats the deal with the green mush they call peas?! Who the hell would want to eat that????

Discuss...!

The best place to go in England, beyond question, is Whitby.

And mushy pea's, depending on where you get them from are amazing.

Fish + Chips + Mushy Peas + Salad Cream with a cup of tea = perfection.

Ram the mushy peas and the salad cream!

A big vat of brown sauce is where its at! :D

The buggers round here have the cheek to charge you 15p for it too!?!!?!!

I can confirm after a lengthy stint that you cannot get good fish and chips South of the border!

You guys are looking too far north. The Suffolk and Essex coast are peppered with proper chippies, the best are around the Aldeburgh area, it helps to find one run by proper locals and not imported cockerny types.

Breaded plaice is easy to come by. Can't believe how hungry I am now...

Who needs a good Chippy when you've got K.F.C?.. lol

kfc.jpg
You've gotta love the Kernel!

you gotta go to the coast for decent battered fish

i can't remember the last time i ate in a chippy in my native area cos they are all crap!

You guys are looking too far north. The Suffolk and Essex coast...

Eh? There's no such thing as a proper chippy 'darn sarf'. Ask for mushy peas or gravy anywhere south of Luton and you get looked at as if you've just arrived from another planet and asked to have the chip shop proprietors first born deep fried!! Proper chippies do mushy peas, gravy, and curry sauce!

There's an award winning chippy just round the corner from where I live and you can have battered (or breaded) Cod, Haddock or Plaice!

Hmm, can't say I've noticed how good or bad fish and chips are, as I don't eat the stuff.

Always prefer home ****** meals, must be at least 12 years since I had fish and chips, and don't miss it.

Hmm, can't say I've noticed how good or bad fish and chips are, as I don't eat the stuff.

Always prefer home ****** meals, must be at least 12 years since I had fish and chips, and don't miss it.

..how the upper classes roll! lol

I've had a few decent suppers, erm, fish and chips down these parts: Castle Fisheries in Richmond and Mother Kelly's in Pompy are good, but what is with the opening times??? Shut by eight, not open Sundays! That is an afront to my sensibilities as a deep-fried pizza lovin Jock.

Oh and it's Salt-n-Sauce FTW! :rockwoot:

I'm in Lancashire this week and just tried a brand new excellent chippy lastnight at Scorton (near Garstang on the A6). It's the old Littlechef building,........genious :cool:

Eh? There's no such thing as a proper chippy 'darn sarf'. Ask for mushy peas or gravy anywhere south of Luton....

Luton? Christ, that IS south! Oh yeah, nothing to be had there, that's for sure. From the M25 you're talking fish 'n chips oblivion until Cornwall!

You're talking to a guy from Grimsby now... so as far as I'm concerned there's no where in the UK better than Grimsby for Fish&Chips... and that includes Scotland!

Okay... so Whitby & Scarborough do seem to have some semi-decent outlets of the Chish & Fips variety I have to say... but get yourself to Steels or Marklews in Grimsby if you want to treat your tastebuds to a water-animal-and-soily-potato based feast.

:happy:

So it seems its not englandshire in general, just this area.

Its on the ****** coast too, so there should be excellent fish.

I think part of the problem is not being able to find Special Fish, I dont care for the battered stuff that much, as the batter goes all mushy. Breadcrumbs stay nice and crispy and dry, which is much better!

Dan: Garstang isnt too far away, maybe half an hour, but its a bit of a trek for a chippy!

I really dont get the early closing either? Is that the same across england? In scotland they're open late just like any kebab shop or chinese/indian/italian takeaway.

Theres a posh looking "Fish Restaurant" in Thornton, so i'm going to give that a try at some point, maybe that will deliver the goods!

Dan: Garstang isnt too far away, maybe half an hour, but its a bit of a trek for a chippy!

You were after a specific chippy near to your very house?.....thought you were just making a general comment.

Anyway, Lancaster has some amazing chippies,......as does Horsham down here in Sussex. I went to Scotland on Tuesday but didn't get the chance to sample the chippies as we only went there for quarter of an hour (literally).

Well i've tried 6 or 7 different places that are "local" and they were all crap! Hence the post :p

The "best" one i've had yet i ate about 10 minutes before posting, at least they managed to cook the chips properly, but as usual soggy batter and they shut at 6:30!!!

Lol a takeaway meal is a nice treat now and then.

I'm not really sure a pot noodle can be called a "treat"...

your so right mate cant beat it ,,,i was brought up on the stuff (manzes towerbridge road) get it sent down to cornwall now and again :hubbahubba:

You are kidding me, so was I.
From time to time I pop down and have some when I can or when I see my mum.

So where you from?

Last edited:
You are kidding me, so was I.
From time to time I pop down and have some when I can or when I see my mum.

So where you from?

lived downtown rotherhithe salters road for nearly 30 years ,only moved to cornwall 6 years ago mate i went bacons school just behind manzes used have every other day for lunch and weekends with me dad do miss it mate

The best chippy i know of is a little private one in the middle of Highcliffe highstreet called 'Frydays'. They never fail to serve lovely food!:icon_thumright: