FWD Driveshaft Flanges Needed!

Talkwrench

Hoonigan
Reaction score
As the title suggest im after a pair of gearbox flanges that bolt to the inner CV of the driveshafts. I searched high and low for a set, Can anyone help me out? Or a knackered FWD gearbox will do!

what is wrong with them?

Nothings wrong the the ones on the car, I want to fit the S4 hub carriers and driveshafts that are taking up space in my garage. Im also in negotiations for a really nice BBK for a B5 S4 but would need these flanges to complete the job as they are bigger. 108mm vs 100mm I think?

s4 hub carriers fitted on mine without swapping anything, have you checked outer cv dimensions

Really, If im honest I haven't checked a thing yet, I've only heard that the flanges will be needed. Is your car facelift?

mines a 99 1.8tqs, but if youve got the complete s4 driveshafts it would be easier to swap outer cv's if you had too

The upright for the S4 are 82mm bearings so the S4 shafts need to be used.

I know Docurley used FWD flanges as i gave them to him and he fitted his RS4 uprights so he could use the Rs4 brakes

I figure if I can get my hands on the flanges at least I have all options covered, nothing worse than spending a day wrenching and not being able to complete the job to then have to do it all again when you get the bits.

Anyone get any suggestions where to look? I've exhausted all my contacts!

leave the gearbox alone. you need new outers. the shafts themselves are exactly the same, hence the reason RS4/S4 outer and inner CV's will fit a 1.8tq shaft (same shaft dimensions!)

I have B7 RS4 brakes on RS4 upright/hub carriers.
I got a set of RS4 drive shafts, knocked the outer CV's off my shafts and the new shafts, swapped them over, bolted on the new uprights and plugged everything else in.

pulling flanges out of the box is more ball ached than you need.
just sold my half CV'd RS4 shafts as well! cost me next to nothing when you factor in selling the 1.8tqs outer CV's.

outers only!

i have some 98 quattro output flanges that knock into the front diff is this what your after?

^ Quattro ones are too small afaik, unless they're from an S4.

JCB: surely it depends if you want the larger (stronger) inner CV joints? Maybe your method would be fine if your just running a stock motor, but if your sticking 400hp thru it, i'd suggest the larger joints are a nice to have, and Audi clearly thaught the same which is why the FWD and S4/RS4 has the larger flanges/CV's

I have a set of FWD V6 flanges i pulled out of a FWD box before i scrapped it, open to offers if you want them.

lots of things are nice to have.
its a risk reward thing. I haven't heard of any gearbox flanges grenading at any power levels on these boxes. not without problems beforehand.
shafts tend to snap off first, can show you lots of pics of broken driveshafts snapped off at the taper due to massive torque spikes.

Well for me, I would prefer to run the S4 shafts. One because they are stronger and two I will eventually want to fit the 01E gearbox from the S4 so haivng the right shafts will save the ball ache later anyway.

Aragorn, I will gladly relieve you of those flanges, PM with your price, I can collect as I only live in St Annes. I knew someone would be able to help me out! I've been looking for these for ages! Cheers fella

shafts are the same, its the flanges and CV's that are different. but if you are swapping boxes then its a no brainer