rated power of standard clutch and gearbox

jamie226bhp

Reaction score
What power can the standard quatro gearbox and clutch handle on a 2000 plate 1.8t

The standard clutch will be marginal at anything over chipped A4 spec.

As for the transmission, they can take many powers. Dont think there will be an exact upper limit, how much are you looking to put thru it?

No problems with that...Fit a decent clutch and you should be ok. You can break a gearbox even with 50 Bhp if you do miss the gears a few times !

JCB can get southbend clutches that use the DMFW for cheaper that Website prices IIRC
Soupie69 is running a stage 4, i had a stage 3 and was happy

JCB can get southbend clutches that use the DMFW for cheaper that Website prices IIRC
Soupie69 is running a stage 4, i had a stage 3 and was happy

How much did you pay, would i get away with a stage 3 and do i need to uprate the fuel pump

Instead of wasting money on some uprated aftermarket clutch for the DMF, stick a 240mm solid flywheel on there and run an OE S4 clutch.

Probably cost less, and will get rid of the probably knackered DMF too.

but i thought the duel mass is there to take all the shock load and save extra wear on the gearbox

but i thought the duel mass is there to take all the shock load and save extra wear on the gearbox

On the contrary, the DMF is the weakest part of the transmission, next to the stock 228mm clutch.

Depends how light you go !

You can have chattereing at idle with a SMFW and also when dropping to idle from driving the idle can drop slightly below the idel setting causing the engine to cut out if the aircon on or hunt while the ECU trys to maintain the tick over. The engine should spin up quicker which is good

not really bothered about going ultra light just want to keep the driveability with a setup that will handle the 260bhp odd i'm hoping for and if a solid fly and clutch is a cheaper better option i'll opt for that

Instead of wasting money on some uprated aftermarket clutch for the DMF, stick a 240mm solid flywheel on there and run an OE S4 clutch.

Probably cost less, and will get rid of the probably knackered DMF too.

you might be cheaper but only if you are very lucky.
S4 clutches are anywhere from £220-300 depedning who you go to

personally I think a 240mm flywheel and s4 clutch is overkill for a car putting out little more than a stock S4 and nowhere near the low rev torque delivery of the V6, where the clutch is really needed. (although Siena's 1.8t 240mm SMFWs are the dogs danglies!).
removing the DMF can produce some extra noise from the transmission when in neutral and idle...but as you are probably going to uprate your exhaust and stereo you won't notice!

At the moment I run a stage 3 Southbend on a dual mass (180tqs few mods- less than 200bhp though). clutch pressure at pedal is stock. It is good for over 300ft/lbs of torque and new they are around $400 (£250). I could slip the audi clutch on spirited hill starts...not any more.
"stage 4" is the next step up at 400+ftlbs for around $540.

These are not some aftermarket specials made in China on the cheap, SB buy in Sachs clutch housings and friction plate chassis and build them up to their own spec with uprated pressure plates and friction materials.
They also do a stock diameter steel ($369) aluminium ($429) single mass flywheel and OEM dual mass flywheels ($590).
even with taxes they work out cheaper than most kits here.

I am biased but I bought three myself before I became a distributor.
happy to have a chat if you want to know more.

BTW who was it on here who was looking for a 1.8t quattro gearbox?

My local factors have S4 clutches for around £150. Might not be Genuine Audi, but its still going to be a branded clutch from a respectable manufacturer like Luk or Valeo, and more than capable of handling the power required.

You'll also probably find that if the DMF has done any sort of mileage it will be knackered, or at the very least getting on a bit, so going solid and 240mm does it all in one hit.

car's only done 60,000 miles but the dmf would be changed regardless just whether it goes to a solid or new DMF and my mate works at GSF so i get good prices on bits