How to remove steering wheel?

u03am5

Reaction score
Hi I have a 1997 R reg A4 TDi and I was wondering how you remove the steering wheel in ordere to change the wiper stalk switch?

I have disconnected the battery and removed as much associated plastic trim as I can and there appears to be two bolts in the reverse of the steering wheel itself which are recessed out of view. I'm not sure if they can be removed with an alan key or a torx key but neither seem to work they just seem to be stuck on? These may already be somewhat rounded off?

Is there any other things to be aware of so I don't damage the airbags/immobiliser?

If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it, cheers.

should be a torx key, dont you have a small mirror to shine behind it, to see if rounded off? it should be a T30

don't have your keys in the ignition when you do it.
people say disconnect the battery to make safe the airbag...I didn't. no keys no airbag.

two small torx scres on e on each side behind centre spar of wheel, one large on in centre of wheel behind airbag. unlpug horm and bag depending on car it may be one or two spade connectors. air bag connector has a lock on plug in the centre at the back

you will need a breaker bar or longer ratchet to undo the centre 12 point splined bolt that holds it on. F Tight!

dont forget the thread lock for the reinstall, oh and the early ones is like a 22mm nut instead of the spline drive, mark it up to before you pull it off