Normal running temperature?

Mistwraithuk

Reaction score
Hi all,
Recently bought a 1999 2.8 Q, my first Audi. I have a couple of questions if anyone can help :)

What should the normal running temp be ? Mine sits at 80 c and never gets hotter, even after a 70 mile trip. Seems a little cool ... ?

Also when you blip the throttle it seems to hang onto the revs for a split second longer than i would have expected. Maybe because its not really warming up ?

Any help would be great,

Cheers,

Nick

Sounds like a faulty thermostat or CTS (Coolant Temperature Sender)

The guage should come up to 90 and sit there at all "normal" temperatures.

I have a feeling that on a V6 the stat is a bit of a ****** to get to, and even though thats the most likely culprit, i'd stick a new CTS in there first as they're easy to change and situated at the back of the engine just to rule that out before you have to start dismantling half the car.

hi does the car take a long time to warm up 5 or 6 miles if so its the thermostat normally when a temp sensor goes you see the gauge fluctuate up and down . i have just done my thermostat on a 2.8 a6 its front off the car i am afraid but you do not have to remove the timing belt the thermostat sits right behind the timing belt but it is possible to twist the belt to allow room to get the new stat in one word of advice get the thermostat from audi 17 quid and a new o ring 2 quid sounds expensive but you dont want to be doing this twice for the sake of a few quid also dont forget to use g12 plus anti freeze available from GSF for about 6 quid a litre

Sounds like the thermostat then tbh yendall24, thanks for that info. Guess i`m going to have to get dirty :)