LiquidA4/S4/RS4 centre vent

freegeek

Reaction score
Website
www.racediagnostics.com
Guys, I'm thinking about getting some centre vents for the A4 made up by Steve at SWG motorsport after seing a tidy job done by one of my customers,

Any interest? Here is the one done by a guy in the netherlands.

S-RS4%20B5%20Vent%20Pod.jpg

Don't think a lot of us can use those :(

Aren't they like the Scan-guage that plug into the cars OBDII port? I recall our cars having an earlier version as I tried a Scan-guage and it just wouldn't find the car at all :(

Hope I'm wrong about that thohg as I'd love one of those in my A4

Last edited:
UK/Euro cars dont have ODB2, its an american standard.

later (2001>?) Audis will have EOBD2 compliance, but i dont think the B5 has that, or at least most of them wont.

Aye, shame as most features do not work on the B5, even the facelifts. BOOOHOOO

Pretty though, it has to be said

when i looked on their website last month it had the b5 S4 listed for around £139.99

I tried one of these when the maker was over in Edinburgh and it would not work on my car. Was over a year ago though and the maker said it should with a few tweeks of the software which he planned to work on.

He was a really nice chap.

Guys,

The liquid doesn't use the OBD protocol it uses the prorietary VAG standard known as KW1281, the same as is used by VAG-COM, the liquidA4/S4/RS4 is designed to work with the B5 chassis.

B5 support was added about a year ago.

Cheers
Jim

Jim, what features do work then mate? I know boost won't as we have no MAP sensor, so assuming the power output thingy wont either...

Jim, what features do work then mate? I know boost won't as we have no MAP sensor, so assuming the power output thingy wont either...

It depends on the engine code, I also have a way of showing a boost estimate for cars without a MAP sensor.

BHP is calculated from the MAF, I expect this will be available oon alll cars.

If there is someone around the Fife/Edinburgh/glasgow area we could meet up for a quick test.

I've been doing a lot of development for the RS4 which is now completed but it would be good to try and A4 too.

Hi, i'm based in glasgow. Would be happy to help in development.

Car is a P plate 1.8t sport avant (AEB code)
with the early ECU which can't be flashed (custom code had to send my ecu away for the remap)

I can offer a 2.8v6 testbed in glasgow if needed? But im workin away and wont back till fri 30th, available after then.

So do the testing guys get a free unit installed??? (Wink wink):jester:

I'm interested too
Same as soupie's 1.8t dbc ajl so get it it tested on his soon.

I would love one of these for my B6 but it's not ment to be right now.:(

Wots wrong, problems with the car?

How is the b6 goin, u got a link to the build? Still goin for a b7 conv? Never really seen it yet, but sounds very interesting.

I'm interested but...
Will it show boost on a B5 S4?
Says boost on the webpage but as above might not work on the B5's

I'm interested but...
Will it show boost on a B5 S4?
Says boost on the webpage but as above might not work on the B5's

S4 and RS4 (B5) work no problem, I already have a few customers using the gauge, the picture of the unit at the top if out of an existing customers car.

If you can see a value in vag-com it will be possible to see it with the liquid gauge so that is a good way to check ahead of time.

One mod I have made for the S4/RS4 is to allow the user to select the CAT temp rather than the exhaust temp as it was not available.

Thanks to the offers from the Glasgow guys, but Edinburgh is a bit closer.

Soupie, just let me know when would be convienient and I will pop over.

no problem, out of curiosity - will this work on the ecu I have,
like the very early 1.8t's?

if so, would it loose any functionality due to the apparent limitations of the ecu (not being able to flash the eprom ect)?

let me know if you have used it on these types and what the outcomes are, if not the offer still stands.

Would be good to get a look at it in person too, i dont mind coming a spin through (test out the new suspension).

no problem, out of curiosity - will this work on the ecu I have,
like the very early 1.8t's?

if so, would it loose any functionality due to the apparent limitations of the ecu (not being able to flash the eprom ect)?

let me know if you have used it on these types and what the outcomes are, if not the offer still stands.

Would be good to get a look at it in person too, i dont mind coming a spin through (test out the new suspension).

It will work, but depending on which sensors are missing on your car, some features will be missing.

Do you gave access to a vag-com cable, if you do you will be able to see what is missing.

During week days i'm in East Kilbride so it would be easy to do a quick meet up then.

yeah, I have a vagcom cable

can see:

Gauge Display
Engine power - ?? maf 0.8 bhp (i can see maf figs)
Torque - not sure what bank this is in vagcom
Boost pressure - no map sensor, this is what i'm really interested in
Cmd pressure - ??
Mass Air Flow - yes can see this
Air Fuel Ratio - not sure, never looked
Air intake temp - yes, can see this
Exhaust temp - not sure, never looked
Coolant temp - yes, think this may be off the instruments
N75 position - not sure, never looked
Oil temp - yes, sure i have seen this, again think off instruments

i'm pretty much free after 5 most nights

What sort of price are we looking at for how many units?

OK

Looks like you would get most info, torque is calculated from MAF and RPM, since there is no MAP sensor the display would show a calculated estimate only.

Cheers
Jim

yeah, I have a vagcom cable

can see:

Gauge Display
Engine power - ?? maf 0.8 bhp (i can see maf figs)
Torque - not sure what bank this is in vagcom
Boost pressure - no map sensor, this is what i'm really interested in
Cmd pressure - ??
Mass Air Flow - yes can see this
Air Fuel Ratio - not sure, never looked
Air intake temp - yes, can see this
Exhaust temp - not sure, never looked
Coolant temp - yes, think this may be off the instruments
N75 position - not sure, never looked
Oil temp - yes, sure i have seen this, again think off instruments

i'm pretty much free after 5 most nights

Jim,
I am in Edinburgh also, would be very interested to meet up with you and Soupie for a trial. (99 AJL)
email me at ed@ersg.com
evenings would be better for me to.

For those of you without a MAP sensor, i use the following formula to calculate boost pressure (I found this on the Ross-Tech web site)

boost = ((MAF x 54 / RPM) - 1

the result is a reasonable approximation, the chart below shows a log from my car with the actual boost recorded with vag-com and the calculated value.

The difference at the start of the trace can in part be attributed to the fact that the MAP sensor is before the throttle plate so does not show any vaccuum, and the blip at the end is when the trottle plate closes and pressure increases before the diverter valve opens. Also the blue trace should be 200prm to the left but excel got beyond me at that point. I was also logging three data blocks on this log which slowed down the sampling, i think with reading a single block at a time the two would meet closely.

At some point I will do two separate single block logs and try to superimpose them more carefully.

agu%20boost.jpg

Last edited:
I was emailing Jim Stuart (is this you???) in June about this as i wanted one for my 2000 TQS and he presumed everything would work.
As for boost, is it not possible to adapt the system to accept a vacuum/boost intake? The boost guage that was in my A4 when i bought it had a remote boost sensor in the bay connected to the inlet manifold vacuum and sent an electronic signal to the guage in the car?