01E 6speed gearbox oil different from 02M 6 speed gearbox oil ?

adamss24

Reaction score
Hi guys, is there ANY difference between the gearbox oil for a 6speed 01E longitudinal mounted and a 6 speed 02M as fitted to various VAG transverse mounted ? The reason is i had a 3L of genuine VAG oil to do missus passat v6 tdi but me cousin's 04 Touran (PD 130 Tdi) broke the gearbox a few days ago and i have filled it with the corect oil for the 01E box. Just been to VW and their part number is quite similar bar 2 digits in the middle ? Just wanna be shure...Autodata lists fully synthetic 75w90 oil for both gearboxes(wich both dealers supplied oils are) but no other spec either ! Thanks for any info...

Thats what i hopped for ! I tried to see the reason why they would use different oil grades as the boxes are pretty much mechanically the same. I know that older 01E are Getrag boxes and much tougher than the 02M (made by Vag in house factory!) but dont see the reason why they would use different fluids as they listed as being 75w90 synthetic oils and they are made by ESSO as far as i know ?! Thank you !