Back in the A4

audinary

Complete And Utter Member
Reaction score
I knew I loved my car, but I've just been reminded why.

Just returned from a road trip with my girlfriend; how does 2684 miles in 8 days in a '94 Peugeot 306 1.4 sound?

It's a non power-steered one, heavy as hell to steer, and I'm astonished her left calf muscles aren't more developed with that clutch. However, I did enjoy it, the fact that it had to be man-handled around those Alpine passes, and you could feel and hear every vibration, a bit like a pre BMW mini.

When I got home, the first car I drove was a Merc C-Class. Which was a haven of tranquility after the pug, but later that day, when I picked up the Audi, my god, did it feel good to be home....

I think what I love is that the refinement isn't such that you're completely isolated, you can hear what's going on to just the right extent.

My MOT had expired when I got home, but it went straight through with just an an advisory on rear wheel bearings.

Anyway. I'm back and look forward to joining in again. Hi everyone!

welcome back! its amazing how well these cars are made at the start of this year i had to travel on business in 2 hired cars, a new seat leon and a ford focus. the ford did drive better than the seat however when i got back into my b5 i was amazed how well the a4 drove smoother and better build and finish.

Yep i agree.

Our cars 13 years old, with 191k on the clock, and the quality still shines thru. Dawn was originally a bit apprehensive selling her X-reg fiesta for an older car but she's pretty convinced now. Dawns mum has an '05 plate fiesta, and i still cant get over how crap it looks and feels inside.

I shouldn't be moaning about the "good old days" at age 28, but every new car I've driven over the last couple of years (except, obviously, the really quick stuff) bores the shiz out of me. When I sell a car (at work) I really look forward to driving the customers old p/x car, seeing what it's like.

When I mean fun, I don't mean crazy fast, hurling into corners etc, just rewarding to steer and interact with. I think "ordinary" cars ceased to be fun to drive circa 2002....!

Or is that a load of old balls?

On topic, we've never had an Audi p/xd with any body rot, where as mercs and BMWs over 10 years old are usually quite furry looking

Last edited:
I dont think "ordinary" cars pre-2002 would have been any good either....

Think of the various ford, vauxhall, renault, etc heapers from the mid 90's!