Oil catch tank/can..

A guy over on AudiSRS made one himself out of some basic plumbing parts from B&Q. Works better than a couple of the branded items which he'd tried previously.

I am making mine. stainless thermos flask...
pretty easy, key thing is to make sure the contains has a good amount of material in it, wire wool, lathe swarf etc.
are you planning on venting to atmosphere or back into inlet?

I need to tap the cam cover on mine, some already have it.

Originally I was planning on just venting to atmosphere but don't know whether I could put up with the warm oily smell for long.

I have also heard of others having running issues if the vented air doesn't recirculate into the system?

be hard core, run a pipe to the floor,lol I did that with my Very old Mk2 ecsort,lol

Should have seen the undserside of the car when i blew the engine, how it rusted through all that oil, i will never know

be hard core, run a pipe to the floor,lol I did that with my Very old Mk2 ecsort,lol

Should have seen the undserside of the car when i blew the engine, how it rusted through all that oil, i will never know

LOL..

I had a MK1 Polo with a breather filter on and the smell was strong.. might give the A4 that racer feel though lol.

yeah, it does stink. it also affects some of the pressure sensors or vacuum sources. not sure which or where but it would make sense.

Not oil pressure, vacuum for sure as that relys on it being a sealed system with non return valves in place etc

Last edited:
the underside is about the only part of my golf that i dont worry about rust now :icon_thumright:

interesting but IMO not big enough.
ideally you want a much larger volume around 500cc / half a litre with plenty of air between the condenser material internally.
the vapour entering needs plenty of space to condense and remove the max amount of liquid (oil and water) before re-entering the inlet tract.
The larger volume creates a pressures drop, cooling and slowing the vapour down.

that petrol filter will collect some but nothing like the amount it should be collecting.