JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
    5th Gear

Status

steering column, can excursion help??!

My steering squeaks all the time and is bloody annoying. It also has a lot more resistance that my previous '95 A4 as opposed to my '99 A4 and they both had same wheels.

I've managed to ascertain that the noise isn't a rubbing squeak it is a click which when turned at normal speed makes a squeak. Moving the steering wheel a tiny but creates a click and then a tiny bit more and another click and so on...

So I'm thinking are there any bearings or supports to the column and I seem to remember excursion posting a pic of his car stripped out. Do you still have this pic as I can then see how the steering column is set up?

Does anyone have any ideas what it is. it really is bloody annoying! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status

Re: steering column, can excursion help??!

The click and resistance my not be inter-related, mate.

Try the simple thigns first, remove the cowl to ensure it's not fouling the back of the wheel.

The cause behind the resistance may be harder to pin-point, I very much doubt it's the shaft bearings. I've never ever heard of them go on any car as there is no load on them at all (always a first time though).

Remove the cowl and get back to us.

5th Gear

Status

I shall try that tomorrow then. Do you have to take the steering wheel off to be able to remove the top and bottom part. I'm not too bothered about the resistance it is just the constant squeak from the clicking.

4th Gear

Status

No you don't have to remove the wheel mate. Just pull the column all the way out and it'll make things easier.