Lowering and spacing

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hello fellas.
Need some advice. Next week when I am off work I am going to lower and fit some hubcentric spacers to my 2.8 quattro avant. It has the sports suspension option already fitted. I have recently purchased Geemans monoblock alloys (et 48, 8j, 17's) and have bought 4 new Dunlop sp sport max tt's to complement the alloys(225/45/17's). My first question is how much is it safe to lower it without the ride turning into a 3 round bout with ken shamrock!! I wouldnt mind a 30mm drop on the already lower factory sports suspension. I am going to be using lowering springs ONLY and not coilovers. The sports suspension has was replaced and has done only 10k.

Lastly, i would like to space out all four corners as much as possible within the legal limit. If i do this will it f**k up the handling or quattro system? Does anyone know the spacers i need (10mm...20mm etc) to do this?

As you've already guessed i am going for the low filled out look. Any help would be great!

Could you put some pic's up of the rim's please.
Where did you buy the rim's (rare)..

Yeah no probs mate. Workin away from home untill sunday so will put pics up then. Bought them from a top bloke on here called Geeman. Speedline manufactured them for audi. Thats all I could work out from the stamps on the inside.
Any advice ref my post?

Well the first is you made the right choice buy not using coilover's, i'm running them on a (b6) and they are not worth the hassel.
I think with the Q you will have to be careful using spacer's, someone will come along later with more advice on this. Lowering spring's is a good choice due to your set up is only done 10k. Which brand of spring are you using.

Kind of hoped you guys could help me with that. I have heard good things about eibach and HR. Price wise though I do not want to go ott if i can avoid it!!

You'll need 15mm spacers, to achieve an offset of 33, which is the optimum to fill out stock arches.

Have a look at the Neuspeed lowering spring's on www.awsome-gti.co.uk
These spring will give a nice drop without making it stupid low..

Hey Ollie.

As you know, I run 10mm spacers out back, and I'm planning to run skinny 5's up front. There's no way I could use anything any wider with the height I'm running my motor at, but with a 'sensible' drop you may be able to get away with more width/poke.

CMD - the rims that you're interested in are beginning to be something of an OEM Audi mystery to be honest. My best guess is a set of European Audi A6 winter wheels. The A8 winter wheels of a similar design have the studs exposed, where as the rims that Ollie now has have a covered centre cap. - Check the 'new winter wheels' thread to see pics of them on my car...

Ollie... get some pics up soon fella!

Last edited:
I am running ET24 with 8.5J and 245/40 tyres on the front, dropped about 30mm without rubbing.
i have a rolled arch and a trimmed liner but the tryes don't catch either arch or liner on speed bumps.

the rears do but only when overloaded or taking bumps too fast. If I had 235 tryes they would clear completely

IMG_17071.jpg

IMG_17061.jpg

IMG_16411.jpg

Sorry about the delay gents. Some pics of the car with the rims I bought off Geeman(dirty car/bad daylight....apollogies!!!). Havn't lowered or spaced her out yet due to time constraints! After confirming my car is already lower by 15-20mm due to the sports factory suspension I am considering buying a kit that will drop it by 50mm(30mm drop from the height at present due to the sports factory suspension). Does anybody know of any spring only kits that will allow me to do this? Many thanks gents!
IMG_0669.jpg
IMG_0668.jpg
IMG_0667.jpg

Hi mate, your car looks like a carbon copy of mine- taastty ! Same colour-estoril blue, same rear spoiler(got the votex sideskirts/front valance but not too keen to fit them as yet !), i have just replaced the rooff rails with rs4 satin silver ones, just to break up the blue ! Can you put a picture o he front as well ? By the way,i have a set of front lowering springs wich are -50/60mm. It made me car low that i had troubles getting over high speedbumps in London but it handled good and looked the bizness ! You can have them for 20 quid + postage if interested (just fronts only). I left the rear stock though !