Badger5Sky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

wastegate chatter

my car is totally standard what do i need to get wastegate chatter any pictures of yours would be great

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    bypass the dv off and fit a cone filter or cheese hole the original airbox but your titchy little turbo will prob break after a couple of days if not hours
    99 Nogaro S4 now black bonnet and roof,blackdiamond discs and pads,Hybrid K04 with uprated actuators ,Rs4 clutch custom lightweight flywheel, esp lightweight pulley set ,Rs4 intake pipes ,rs4 mounts ,full samco hose set,F-hose delete ,BMC carbon induction, full stainless exhaust with de cat pipes, custom chip,18"ultra lights,LED rear clusters,6000k xenons ,LED sides,KW coilovers,powerflex bushes ,Boost guage in pillar pod,isotta steering wheel and gearknob,B&M short shifter

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    You will need to upgrade to a big turbo and run it without a DV then you will get compressor stall which is sometimes confused with wastgate chatter. The Std turbo in your car is not strong enough to allow stall, the shaft will snap

So i imagine if you spend around 5 k on the conversion you will get what you seek

Last edited by Broken Byzan; 15th October 2009 at 19:34.

Reverse Gear

Status
    ok then what if i fitted a dump valve or should i just leave it alone?

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    You need a splitter valve as the ECU on the 1.8t is programmed to have the air recirculated, and without it, the ECU will mess with fueling. The splitter valve feeds just enough air back into the system to make it work correctly and then enough to atmoshpere to make a woosh assuming thats what you want

Reverse Gear

Status

6th Gear

Status
    wastegates dont chatter, in fact, they dont make any noise at all.

what most people call "wastegate chatter" is actually compressor surge. to achive that, get rid of your "dump valve" all together and youll have plenty of compressor surge.

failing that, get an atmospheric DV (bad idea) or keep the normal recirculating one and fit a cone filter, youll hear it more then, but cone filters are a bad idea, so you lose either way just for a bit of noise. you could just sit indoors and watch the fast and the furious for your fix though if you dont want to make your car slower

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    my wastegate chatters, but thats because its half broken and the pennys about to fall off :P

As matt and mark say theres no such thing as wastegate chatter, its called compressor stall, and while it might work, i dont think the K03 would handle it for long. If you want to try it, then remove the existing recirc valve and block off the pipes, how long the turbo lasts though i couldnt guess.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

6th Gear

Status
    a friend of mine loved the sound of compressor surge, so much, that she had someone get rid of her dv all together

maybe a year later it has been remapped, it chirps even louder (does sound cool) but the life expectancy of the turbo cannot be good when that air comes through the compressor the wrong way haha

as for your wastegate... bad times!!

Mirror, Signal, Outmanoeuvre

Status
    I fitted a k+n 57i induction kit to my standard (apart from a re-map) 1.8t around 18 months ago and havn't had any problems at all and get a nice 'ptish' sound from it!! No noticable losses in power or heat soak or anything
    White B5 1.8 turbo sport

6th Gear

Status
    I feel a spot for my Fiesta chatter clips again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baUEBAKw5vQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts6_ZCjtLUQ

As above though it's nothing to do with the wastegate. Audi's won't like chatter as teh system is MAF based and it will louse up the fueling and I have also been advised the K03 turbo's are quite a bit more brittle than the Garret item I ran in the Fiesta

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd 1.8 turbo View Post
    No noticable losses in power or heat soak or anything
    cool, how did you actually test for gains/losses then?

Mirror, Signal, Outmanoeuvre

Status
    I didn't, thats why i said no NOTICABLE losses. Still seems the same as the day i bought it nearly two years ago. I should imagine there is a small power loss but nothing of any significance
    White B5 1.8 turbo sport