wastegate chatter

bypass the dv off and fit a cone filter or cheese hole the original airbox but your titchy little turbo will prob break after a couple of days if not hours

You will need to upgrade to a big turbo and run it without a DV then you will get compressor stall which is sometimes confused with wastgate chatter. The Std turbo in your car is not strong enough to allow stall, the shaft will snap

So i imagine if you spend around 5 k on the conversion you will get what you seek

Last edited:
You need a splitter valve as the ECU on the 1.8t is programmed to have the air recirculated, and without it, the ECU will mess with fueling. The splitter valve feeds just enough air back into the system to make it work correctly and then enough to atmoshpere to make a woosh assuming thats what you want

wastegates dont chatter, in fact, they dont make any noise at all.

what most people call "wastegate chatter" is actually compressor surge. to achive that, get rid of your "dump valve" all together and youll have plenty of compressor surge.

failing that, get an atmospheric DV (bad idea) or keep the normal recirculating one and fit a cone filter, youll hear it more then, but cone filters are a bad idea, so you lose either way just for a bit of noise. you could just sit indoors and watch the fast and the furious for your fix though if you dont want to make your car slower

my wastegate chatters, but thats because its half broken and the pennys about to fall off :p

As matt and mark say theres no such thing as wastegate chatter, its called compressor stall, and while it might work, i dont think the K03 would handle it for long. If you want to try it, then remove the existing recirc valve and block off the pipes, how long the turbo lasts though i couldnt guess.

a friend of mine loved the sound of compressor surge, so much, that she had someone get rid of her dv all together

maybe a year later it has been remapped, it chirps even louder (does sound cool) but the life expectancy of the turbo cannot be good when that air comes through the compressor the wrong way haha

as for your wastegate... bad times!!

I fitted a k+n 57i induction kit to my standard (apart from a re-map) 1.8t around 18 months ago and havn't had any problems at all and get a nice 'ptish' sound from it!! No noticable losses in power or heat soak or anything

I didn't, thats why i said no NOTICABLE losses. Still seems the same as the day i bought it nearly two years ago. I should imagine there is a small power loss but nothing of any significance