i need help

S4twiggy

Fully Certified Detailer!!
Reaction score
got my ebay vagcom lead today with drivers and the disk off ebay, all installed and drivers too so thought id try it out

tested and saved on port COM3 but it keeps saying no response to controller when i go into things, i tryed to go into ENGINE but kept sayin no response?????:think::think:

any ideas peeps

If it's a freebie version of the software then it doesn't let you do much, just do a scan, you need to pay for a registration key to unlock it to get full access to everything.

It means you have no engine.

Have a look under the bonnet (at the front), and you'll probably see the pedals you've been using.

If the lead has a power light then check it's illuminated as I had a faulty lead which gave the same error 'no response'.

Must admit, I couldn't get on with my Ebay cheapy either. I gave it to a neighbour who has a Passat and bought a genuine lead. Trouble-free ever since.

What version of Vagcom are you using?

Have you installed the serial-usb emulator drivers?

Have you tried going into any other modules or just Engine?

You need to check which serial port windows is recognising the adaptor on, and if its silly, move it to a more sensible one.

My laptop usually allocates it COM13 or something if i forget to put it in the usual com port.

If you hold down the windows key and press break (or right click my computer and choose properties), Then choose device manager, scroll down to ports and open it, it should tell you in there.

You need to check which serial port windows is recognising the adaptor on, and if its silly, move it to a more sensible one.

My laptop usually allocates it COM13 or something if i forget to put it in the usual com port.

If you hold down the windows key and press break (or right click my computer and choose properties), Then choose device manager, scroll down to ports and open it, it should tell you in there.

i keep hearing about tis device manager but when i go into it i cant see PORTS in there, the usual stuff but that about it, ive clicked on the USB one and brought up the properties of the cable im using but i cant/dot know how to change ports, in vagcom(409-1) im on COM3 when i tested and saved but it not happening for me

Grant mate, When we got back from Audi Inter's i got on ebay and bought myself a cable for my b6 ....I'm now S..ting myself becouse i have no clue when it come's
to this sort of stuff. Which seller did you buy your's from..

got mine from A+E trading ltd under the seller user id gps-ppc

£12.99 free shipping

im just thought it was plug in and go to be honest mate, why is evry thing confusin lol i need to get more on the laptop, im 24 and feel 50 when im sitting at one of these

Right, i've taken some screenshots for you:

Open the device manager:
main.php

Then find the ports item:
main.php

Open it, and select the USB Serial controller. You'll see it says (COM4) in my example, if yours is on 1,2,3 or 4 then all you need to do is select the same number from inside vagcom, and it should work.
If not you need to change the port onto one that vagcom can see. To do that right click the port and then choose properties:
main.php

Last edited:
Once the properties panel opens, choose Port settings, then click advanced:
main.php

Then open the com port number dropdown and choose a port between 1 and 4. Ignore it if it says its in use, windows does that for some random reason:
main.php

It will give you this message, say yes:

main.php

Now you just need to select the same port from within vagcom.

Also note though, that you'll probably have to start vagcom as an administrator on vista/7

To do that, right click the shortcut, and choose run as administrator:

main.php

See how that goes...

Last edited:
yep done that and changed port to COM1 but it dont work in vagcom on COM1 butif i test it on COM3 in vagcom it says port ok and interface found???????????

Hmm, if its on com1 in device manager you really should select com1 in vagcom. It also wont respond unless the lead is connected to the car with the ignition on (ie dash lit up), as only the USB to serial adaptor gets powered from the PC, the serial interface itself gets powered from the car.

Maybe try unplugging it and replugging it after you've forced the com port just to make sure its defo on com1, and make sure you start it as administrator, or the OS might not allow the program to access the com ports.

seriously all i did is select dumb mode and click usb , im running vista so had to load in admin mode as xp to make vag com work at the time

I have an ebay lead and yes i use usb mode but have to click on force dumb mode

all sort now, i had to change com ports in device mnager, works fine now, shall be gettn the real rostech one soon as mine doesnt bring up the names of the codes due to it being shareware or summin.

does the rosstech come with the licens and the lead?????

hes been gone a while, wonder if it was good news....

you plugged your car into the computer... what did the computer tell you?