weird starting problem

peter9000uk

Reaction score
Car: A4 Avant B5 1.8 non turbo 80000miles Full Audi history

Turn key to start and car runs for 10 secs approx then cuts out. It used to happen once in a blue moon but is now getting worse. It is getting to the point where my wife won't drive it anymore.

If it was a Renault I would know straightaway but before I start wading in I thought I'd ask if anyone has had similar problems or if it was a known fault somewhere.

Thanks in advance
Pete

Sounds a bit like the immobiliser?

Does the immo symbol on the dash flash before/after starting? Looks like a car with a key underneath?

I thought that I must admit but no it doesn't, in fact I don't recall every seeing that symbol. It is a bit of an odball car to be honest. Built 96 registered new in Feb 98 in Cyprus, has leather, climate but no remote locking, no computer & steel wheels!

Immobiliser would normally cut the engine immediately, but it does sound the most likely cause. Does the immobiliser light test OK when you turn the ignition on i.e. is it working?
Silly question but do the keys feel nice & tight in the ignition barrel or is there play. The keyswitch's do wear out on the B5 which can cause wierd problems, worst of all engaging the starter motor while the engines running and burning it out.
If it's the immobiliser then try moving the steering column up & down and see if it improves. The wire for the immobiliser receiver can start picking up stray noise from the other cables near it and this can trick it into thinking the code hasn't been received OK and cut the engine. There are a number of posts on here about rectifying this by moving the wire away from the main loom and checking the connection.

Cyprus? Its not a UK car?

Might not have immo at all then...

Take a look under the drivers knee bolster for a white rectangular box, or see if vagcom will chat to the immo on channel 25.

If you have vagcom, or can get someone local to scan it for you it might give you a better idea of whats going on.