injectors on 1.8t

jamie226bhp

Reaction score
what bhp are the standard injectors good for on a 2000 plate quatro AJL engine gode and whats the max power the ko3s turbo is good for

not sure about injectors but im sure you can get about 230bhp at most from them with a good remap and exhaust.

I seriously doubt any more can be made on std than that i think 220 to 225 is the norm.

I had 250 on std injectors and hybrid turbo, i suspect the injectors were running at 150% duty cycle or something silly

just curious as i think i need new injectors but don't know whether to get standard size or bigger as at a later date i want to upgrade the turbo, would bigger injectors work on the standard ko3s setup without any other alterations

im sure there is somebody on here that got 230 ish. sophie69? it was somethink like that anyway.

If you fit injectors other than stock at the very least you will need a MAP writing to operate the injectors correctly. At best you would suffer a loss of power at worse you may borewash the engine which will render it as scrap.

im sure it made 230 with the k03s on?

You can get 230hp from the stock injectors, but they's be pretty much at their operating limits. 80% duty cycle's more like it.

You can achieve the 230hp from them and also up the fuel pressure, but bear in mind the fuel pump flow reduces as pressure increases.

Get bigger injectors, and go for a remap.

You'll need to have a good look around and ensure that the folk remapping it can actually map it for the larger injectors.

A lot of the companies just seem to take off the shelf maps and load them on, they dont really have any facilities to properly map a car thats had parts like injectors changed.

Will get it remapped at AMD in essex but i'll get the exhaust done first buy some injectors and then fit the injectors when it's getting remapped any advice on what injectors and how much would like to try to get 225bhp but without being at the limit of the injector, would i still need to up the fuel pressure with bigger injectors and would the standard pump flow enough, sorry for all the questions just new to audi tunning

The standard injectors are rated at 225cc/min, pretty poor really.

If you really want more, then i'd look at a set of "yellow-top" injectors from a Vauxhall C20LET.

They are bosch 0 280 150 420 and flow around 310cc/min

Good for 280-300hp i suspect, and theres some on ebay for 20-40quid.

Or you can look for a set of "Saab reds"

Bosch number 0280150431 from Saab 9000 and they will do 350cc/min, some of them on ebay too, bit more expensive though.

What FPR does the 1,8T run? 4,0 bar?

At 4,0 bar, the 225cc injectors will be 259cc/min.

and if we use this:
formula-2.gif

and convert 259cc/min into 24.64lb/hr, we get:

24.64 * 0.8 / 0.5 = 39.4 hp per injector at 80% duty cycle.

if we go up to 100% duty:

24.64 * 1 / 0.5 = 49.28 hp per injector

That formula says they shouldnt even manage 200hp, so if they are making 230hp, they'll be running absolutely flat out and way beyond spec.

I presume the discrepancy is due to the fuel pressure increasing when under boost.

and if we use this:
formula-2.gif

and convert 259cc/min into 24.64lb/hr, we get:

24.64 * 0.8 / 0.5 = 39.4 hp per injector at 80% duty cycle.

if we go up to 100% duty:

24.64 * 1 / 0.5 = 49.28 hp per injector

That formula says they shouldnt even manage 200hp, so if they are making 230hp, they'll be running absolutely flat out and way beyond spec.

I presume the discrepancy is due to the fuel pressure increasing when under boost.

Gulp.. I'm getting way more than 100% duty then!? Reminds me of X Factor... '150% YES' surely that's just impossible though Simon???

yeh it really makes no sense in your case Lee.

I can only imagine that its either because the fuel pressure climbs with the boost pressure, so at 23psi your actually pushing 5.5bar of fuel pressure (although this would normally be offset by the pressure in the inlet) or its leaning out at the top end.

Either that or chimped uk jammed the fuel pressure regulator in a vice and your now running 5 bar static :p

yeh it really makes no sense in your case Lee.

I can only imagine that its either because the fuel pressure climbs with the boost pressure, so at 23psi your actually pushing 5.5bar of fuel pressure (although this would normally be offset by the pressure in the inlet) or its leaning out at the top end.

Either that or chimped uk jammed the fuel pressure regulator in a vice and your now running 5 bar static :p

I think they just worked their special magic in the purple ones case.. will be commencing engine work ASAP so the stock injectors will be replaced with something much more capable :eyebrows:

I think they just worked their special magic in the purple ones case.. will be commencing engine work ASAP so the stock injectors will be replaced with something much more capable :eyebrows:

Nah i can't see it being lean at top end due to the puff of black she puts out when accelerating :respekt:. I was there the whole time they were tinkering, i know they didnt 'modify' the FPR to 5 bar,lol

Nah i can't see it being lean at top end due to the puff of black she puts out when accelerating :respekt:. I was there the whole time they were tinkering, i know they didnt 'modify' the FPR to 5 bar,lol

You must have gone to the toilet at some point.. they just gave the FPR a few taps with a hammer! Job done! lol

Seriously though Yeah.. Doesn't seem to be lean at full boost. Obviously it's on the limit now though.

well for us it's true anyway. I ams ure thats what Ed was basing his question on.

Even the 1.8 NA has a 4 bar. PS got the kit this very min, cheers

You must have gone to the toilet at some point.. they just gave the FPR a few taps with a hammer! Job done! lol

Seriously though Yeah.. Doesn't seem to be lean at full boost. Obviously it's on the limit now though.

I watched like a preverbial hawk mate, don't you worry. TBH i can't see any of them having the knowledge to 'tweak' the fpr

well for us it's true anyway. I ams ure thats what Ed was basing his question on.

Even the 1.8 NA has a 4 bar. PS got the kit this very min, cheers

No problem mate.. let me know how she gets on (fingers crossed).

Giac (USA) list a few B5 1.8T A4s with 3 bar FPRs on their list of tunes/files so I pressume it's just a US thing.

The standard injectors are rated at 225cc/min, pretty poor really.

If you really want more, then i'd look at a set of "yellow-top" injectors from a Vauxhall C20LET.

They are bosch 0 280 150 420 and flow around 310cc/min

Good for 280-300hp i suspect, and theres some on ebay for 20-40quid.

Or you can look for a set of "Saab reds"

Bosch number 0280150431 from Saab 9000 and they will do 350cc/min, some of them on ebay too, bit more expensive though.

Are these parts straight forward swaps for the standard injectors or do you need extra's, fuel rails etc?

Right then, I'm off to e-bay :icon_thumright:

anyone know how much the c20let one's are new as i'm always dubious buying second hand unless i know the source

Nope, can't see them being any cheaper than £50 each. I have aquired a set of LETs and going to get them cleaned, will still cost under £60 deliverd, bargain i say

Only scored them last night at 00.30,lol

Have to pay yet tho, £38 delivered and £5 each to clean plus £6 post. Really should have spent the cash buying other bits but i wanted to feel i had started on my collection of the bits to use on the Outlaw, when it arrives.
As a good mate of mine needs some of the parts from mine for his project.....

sorry to butt in on the thread lads but wot injectors is my S4 running and wot sort of injectors would be better and wot are the gains from aving uprated injectors?