snapped lower balljoint ouch...

pugpete1108

Reaction score
my missus was on her way to uni today when she hear a massive clunk, looks like the lower rear balljoint has come apart and the wheel has gone forward and is rubbing on the arch.

to top it off the driveshaft has come apart on the hub end.....

the wishbone is not a problem but would the driveshaft be fubared? how do they fit together as its the splined part that has come out of the outer joint.

would this just push back in ? and just fir a new gaiter or is it a new driveshaft?

its just what i need as i brought a puppy on saturday who is now in the vets nearly dead (costing me another £200+) and my wifes mgf just failed its mot.

yep they push (knock) back in. so long as it hasn't damaged itself when apart you should be good with a new gaiter.
let me know if it is fubar'd as I have two spare.

I am confused( dont take much) this is a front arm yes? The lower rearward arm on the front?

It must have been clunking around a bit prior??

yeah luckily she was just pulling off so i'm pretty sure there is no damage to the shaft itself.

thats a result, just gotta get the remains of the ball joint bolt out of the hub:ohmy:

and yeah lower rear drivers side. it was knocking a little but i didnt think anything of it because of the milage, i assumed (i know what they say about assumptions) it was just a worn bush or something, just thank got it didnt happen yesterday when i was on the motorway with the whole family in the car

Last edited:
yeah luckily she was just pulling off so i'm pretty sure there is no damage to the shaft itself.

thats a result, just gotta get the remains of the ball joint bolt out of the hub:ohmy:

and yeah lower rear drivers side. it was knocking a little but i didnt think anything of it because of the milage, i assumed (i know what they say about assumptions) it was just a worn bush or something, just thank got it didnt happen yesterday when i was on the motorway with the whole family in the car

Hi there, based on the scenario that i have i read, if i am not mistaken we have the same problem with the lower ball joint. mine was a moog that i replaced with 4months ago. Do you have any update on this one?

I had one snap on a previous passat (same setup) and the drivers strut folded under the car on a bend at 50mph, no steering, nothing - was a shitter honestly. The car luckily just held the bend using all my strength pulling the steering wheel to the left, and came to a halt by itself wi me and the wife white as sheets.

yup.

The mot man the previous day had said "i'd watch that balljoint son its squeaky and loose, dont drive it far!"

nah it failed but still had the rest o the months mot lefts so I drove it for a bit while getting it sorted, but the balljoint had other ideas lol

if its knocking its telling you something, dufus..... its people like you, driving round in sheds, that cause accidents! even worse if your driving family round in it!

if its knocking its telling you something, dufus..... its people like you, driving round in sheds, that cause accidents! even worse if your driving family round in it!

I'm a bit confused...are you referring to me, or the OP who's car broke before he posted the thread? No one said they were driving about in a shed causing accidents. Or did you just dive in wi your gob before reading the thread properly?

lol I was referring to an incident many years ago when I was a lad, but anyway I do get the point. :)

Hi there, based on the scenario that i have i read, if i am not mistaken we have the same problem with the lower ball joint. mine was a moog that i replaced with 4months ago. Do you have any update on this one?

Hi there, I already replaced my lower ball joint for the second time yesterday. Hopefully i will not encountered the same problem again. Thanks for the inputs guys.

im just saying if its been knocking that long that its broken, then it should have been looked at a while ago before it broke. if you were driving your family in it on the motorway when it broke and the car rolled over 3 times and you were the only survivor..... wouldnt you feel like an ****?