Valeo 1 piece headlights

ajmackie

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
As I'm sure you're all too aware of now, I have a '99 pre facelift A4.

I have just won (such a crap term considering you have to still pay) a set of valeo 1 piece projector headlights off ebay for £127. They are brand new and cost £180 from German ebay or £80 each + vat from 4ringspares, so quite happy methinks! Sorry for anyone I sniped if you are on here!!

Anyways, on audiworld tech it says that becuase I don't have the '99 facelift, I have to grind the lip of the wings off for them to fit. Is this correct for a european A4? How hard is it to grind and I never have grounded metal off in my life!

Will post pics of the finished article (after I get my front bumper resprayed as it is a state /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

i've done a similar thing to my pre-facelift a3 - as have many others - lots of posts about it on the a3 board.
but i just cut the metal with a junior hacksaw - wasn't too difficult, just had to watch for hitting any of the outer paintwork with the saw.

a3 headlight mod

dont know about other models, but the facelift lights for the a3 had a different connector than from the pre-facelift lights (as mentioned in the link above)

hope it goes well....
take your time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

;p

Yep thats true, I gather the inner wing section where the indicator and headlights meet need to be cut back as the new lights do not need the old indicator mount point.

This link will show you how.
Headlight fitting

if you look in at the back of your lights, check for a lever, which should move up &down - setting the lights for RHD &LHD - if you take the bulb out and look through it as you're movin the lever you'll see what it does. hopefully yours will have this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

again from the a3 perspective i was able to fit the motors from the pre-facelift lights - a little tight to fit but they do work.

and for alignment, i took my car to an independant garage - took all of 5mins to sort them out.

not sure what you mean about the ' flick to illuminate oncoming pedestrains?'.....?
;p

it's messud up what i drawn! it is only on dipped beam. when you drive at night and turn out of a junction on a poorly lit road, you'll see the light flucks up on the left.

well there are kits you can buy to replace broken tabs. I'm not sure what the site is off the top of my hed but all is not lost.

You mentioned toe flickering effect, if i'm not mistaken, isn't that caused by the autoleveling?

I'm trying to get my money back from the seller as he sold them as brand new and they're broken! I didn't mean they flickered, I meant in the projector housing there is a cut off mask so as to light up the on coming pedestrains and not to dazzle the cars coming towards you. The lights he sold me were made for the wrong side, so the image would be wrong and fail its annual test (MOT) and blind on coming cars and not be able to see pedestrians!!!

Thanks for the info about the tabs, but it is well annoying that he sent them broken as i had been waiting eagerly for ages!!

I did notice he said they would fit without modifications too, I haope you get your money back matey

Mark

Yeah result! He's told me to send them back and he'll refund us. Apparently he had given them to a garage along with a bodykit to fit but the car got wrote off. He then got them back off the garage and put them on ebay. It sounds as though the garage has beena bit dodgy from what he was saying? Either way I'm getting my monies back! What do you think to your 2 piecd ones?

I am chuffed to bits with mine mate, good fit great light and best of all PNP. I did make sure i had silver vision indicator bulbs to complete the look tho.

Mark

I'm looking at these headlights again as they are so clear and appealing. I'm thinking that i can unscrew the projector lense (round one) and turn it through 180 degrees so that it'll shine the right cut off for a right hand drive car and then zip tie the light to the car on the broken tab. i'll see if the guy is willing to give us some money back.

I just tried turning the projector lense round! They lit up the correct beam pattern for the right hand drive lights, but it was dark on the road and light above the cut off!! Silly old me!! Sending them back!

Glad you gto your money back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Advise the guy to offer them on ebay usa or audiworld- the Americans love their 'e codes!