What Wires!!!!!???????

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hello Fellas,
I'm outside wiring up some Angel Eye headlights that I found in the breaker yard(20 squid!!!!!!!!!!!!!)-They are the Sonar variety. Were not on a car when I got them from the breakers. The looms are plug and play so no dramas there. However, the 3 red and 3 black wires are. I have joined all the reds together and all the blacks together. I understand that I have to wire these into parking lights/side lights. Do I use the cars wiring or join them upto the wires ON the angel eyes?????? Does anybody know what colour the parking light/side light wires are as I do not want to F this up!! I have posted a few pics of my cars harness and the angel eye wires. The car is an A4 2.8 v6 Quattro Avant on a 98 plate.

IMG_0637.jpg
IMG_0638.jpg
IMG_0639.jpg
IMG_0641.jpg

Top 2 display the back of the Angel eyes, and the bottom two show the main harness on the car. Any ideas??
Thanks Gents!

Id be tempted to get the multi meter on this, turn on the side lights and find the power source and solder into the wire

you got a haynes manual? it gives you all the wiring colors etc

If not i'll try and pull the diagram from elsa tomorrow

Annoyingly I did know the answer to this one from when I fitted facelift lights, but I've formatted my computer since doing it. I'd written down which wires were for which light.

Open up your old lights and see which pin the sidelight bulb is wired to. That's what I did.

Thanks Guys!
I have sorted it out. The Halos are now working. Another problem. My car has the foglights built into the lights. They are NOT external. Googled my angel eyes and they have got built in foglights too. So I disconnected the red and black wires and tried the plug and play leaving the red and black wires out. They are still on!!!! Even with just the main harness connected my foglight button is lit up!!! Does anyone know what this could be??????

i would have to say use a multimeter or test probe ,you sure its not just full beam?

Yeah 101% Soon as I flick the light stalk up to the first position the foglight switch illuminates. Up again and it stays on........

Theres something cocked up with your wiring then!

I suspect you've somehow connected the sidelight feed to the foglight wire in the car harness.

I also suspect your angel eyes do not have fog lights, how many bulbs does it have? if it has fogs it will have 3 big halogen bulbs and 1 small one for the sidelights. If it doesnt, then it will have 2 big halogen bulbs and 1 small one for the sidelights.

Aragorn, your absolutely right! Googled my lights again using the part number and manufacturer(SONAR). They do not have built in foglights. I searched this forum and found(think it was yours) advice on cutting and sealing the white and green wires(fogs) and since I have done so the foglight switch is now off! Everything is now working as it should be. Just a quick question though, I am going to fit some fogs, but if the car goes through its MOT before I do will it fail due to there being no front fogs????? Thanks again Mate!

IIRC from when i had mine a long time ago, they come wired like that for some reason. I sniped the wire and used the fog switch to activate the halos or not as the case may be and left the sides wired as they should be.