Fillters

Nitro

Reaction score
I have a 2,8 V6 q its got a Milltek system on it with a K&N panel filter in the standard air box. Would there be any point in replacing the standard airbox and putting a cone filter on it? How restrictive is the standard airbox.

its not.
cone filter add heat as well.

if you want to improve breathing, take the box out, remove all the "fins" and sand smooth, if you can add a snorkel or cold air ram to the corner furthest away from the engine and closest to the front of the car, then that helps as well.

there is a gas flow comparison of lots of aftermarket cones, kandN, piper etc etc, paper panel in OEM shaved box came highest

Panel filter in original airbox is by far the best bet. I went with a cone soley for the noise! Well aware it's costing me a bit on the power front:asskicking:

i doubt its costing you much, if anything, it just wont be gaining you anything either!

If you still have the airbox, it'd be interesting to see the maf readings on some 3rd gear pulls with both the cone and the original airbox, as well as comparing the intake air temps.

Thanks all, a couple of qestions
JCB how does removing the fins in a standard box help? & why are they there in the first place. Do you also remove the fins in the tube that runs from the box to the grill/front of car.
Also guys I saw an advert on a US show for Vortec Cyclone, its a steel vortex generator which fits between the throttle body & air box. The add says improves mpg and power. Has anyone ever fitted this thing does it work? Sounds like a load of rubbish to me. I think it is also called a Turbonator

cyclone is a load of crap, same class as the magnets for your fuel lines to align the fuel molecules... Think of it like this: If all the cars manufacturer had to do was fit a shaped steel ring in the inlet tract, and they'd gain power or improve MPG for free, dont you think it would be there as standard?

The fins and things in the OE airbox will be there to make it nice and quiet. Standard induction systems are desgned to muffle all the intake noise from the engine, just as the exhaust system muffles the exhaust noise.