My S4 rear diff is leaking badly. Anyone got a spare?

SonicDeathmonkey

Reaction score
So that garage did all the work on the car (aux belt, rear springs and the things they fit into, service, CV gators).

They said that the "whirring" from the rear was most likely the rear diff. It's been slowly leaking oil since I bought the car 8 years ago! Anyway, they had a good look at it and filled it back up with oil, but say that the seals (3 of them?) are gone and that the leak is bad enough to warrant replacing the diff.

They said that you can get recon units etc. They didnt seem to think the diff could be "fixed". Does the above sound right? Any ideas where I can get a new diff? How much should I expect to pay?

Why not just change the seals? although i guess that will depend if its now quietened down, or if its still whining.

If its quiet with new oil in there, then i'd replace the seals. I'm sure someone on here did it before, i remember looking for craig (his diff is leaking too) but i dont remember if i found it or not.

as long as it has oil and the noise doesnt get any worse, it'll probably stay like that for quite a while. If its still whining though, its likely the lack of oil has worn some of the bearings inside.

Last edited:
Search for a 2,6 quattro differential - it's the only B5, bar the S4 that is a 37/9 (4.11:1).