S4 diverter valves

marsie

Reaction score
i am starting to suspect the diverter valves are acting up on my 1999 S4.I have been offered different advice on what to replace them with? standard,upgrade or aftermaket(forge etc)
As far as i know the ones fitted are standard,also am i as well off replacing the little valve thingy at the same time(n75??)
Any advice and rough costs would be brill
Ta
Paul:icon_thumright:

The most common recommended OE swap would be to replace them with 710N valves from a TT or S3.

They're about £20-25 new.

Or you could fit something like the Forge 007 recirc, but i dont see the point personally.

the forge one isnt that smart from what ive seen. a friend of mine had a 20vt, the dv failed giving fantastic compressor surge noises.

the forge item went on and in certain conditions it still got that "doh" sound when you came off the throttle

the OE one didnt allow any noises at all

I like the Forge DV.. the build quality is top notch and it's tuneable for increased/decreased boost pressure which is handy. Only downside is the cost!

the forge ones are serviceable as well so the long term outlay should be less

I chewed this over for a while and decided to go for the 710N's.

The cost, the servicing and the noise put me off the Forge ones.

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

i had the s3 one's fitted by the tuner before my remap and have had no issues with them at all

Last edited:
That's what I've got on my 1.8T... no problems with it at all.

I also suspect my valves are playing up too, However when i had a look at them they were already the forge ones. I had a s3 one lying around and felt the spring pressure was far far higher on that than the forge ones. I havent a clue how long the forge ones have been on, Can they loose their springyness and become ineffective?:uhm:

yeah metal fatigue and age could cause them to slacken up a bit compared to new

Thanks for the info guys,think i will go for the 710n's.Is there any benefit to fitting these over the standard S4 valves?

i dont know wot the difference is with the 710A and 710N can someone eloborate as i have one 710A which came with the car out the factory and one 710N which was put on when i had my lamda sensor done. should i get another 710N for the other side?

Personally i would, just to balance things out especially with one being new.

i mite do that too mate, new DV and N75 all for £60......sorted

I've done the MAF and the DV's since I've had the car, but I haven't renewed the N75 yet.

Where's cheapest for them at the moment?

has anyone got the correct part numbers for the 710n valves and n75? the guy at TPS had no idea what i was talking about and kept asking for my chassis number even though i explaned that it wasnt a standard fit on my car

06A 145 710N

There's a guy on eBay selling them for £31 each.

Why are you changing the N75? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

i think they're about the same from audi too, i'm sure thats where mine came from when they were changed

If an N75 is failing you'll know about it. You get erratic boost and can feel the spikes and flat spots when you are at WOT. They will quite often show an 'Overboosting' DTC on Vagcom if they are faulty.

You'll probably find most of the VAG turbo cars are still running their original N75's with no problems.

I got a new one when trying to fault find on my car. The only difference it made was to the contents of my wallet. Would only look to changing the N75 if you have noticeable boost issues and you have ruled out all of 'the usual suspects'.

the forge one isnt that smart from what ive seen. a friend of mine had a 20vt, the dv failed giving fantastic compressor surge noises.

the forge item went on and in certain conditions it still got that "doh" sound when you came off the throttle

the OE one didnt allow any noises at all

I can 2nd that, i fitted one to my old chipped 1.8T Passat and wasn't impressed at all as the extra 50 horses couldnt really be felt from the chip, i then tried it with my old stock DV and the difference was imense.

I actually built a test rig to see if the forge was holding boost and i found it to be leaking like a sieve, where as the standard one didnt leak at all, i even showed the tuner that did my chip and who supplied the forge dv, i also tried a few more forge dv's he had and none of them sealed properly, he was quite shocked and promptly gave me a refund, he also supplied my findings to forge but they weren't really interested, all they did was send me a couple of different springs and a free keyring and stickers.

In the end i just fitted a new 225bhp TT standard DV and never had a problem, it happily held 18psi boost all day long.