New audi project...

9 below zero

Reaction score
Hi, i've just bought myself a pretty standard black 1.8 a4 and i want to tidy it up a bit. I'm probably jumping on the wagon here a bit but i want the rs4 type replica wheels and to lower it but i need your help.

Will 18" replicas fit straight on on?

These;http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-NEW-RS4-st...s_ET?hash=item3ca5f52b16&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

What's the cheapest way of lowering it so it looks smilar to this...

Sorry if thats your car but i like it. I've seen a few cars on here that look as if they are lower in the back than on the front. how do you stop this?

What replicas should i avoid?

Cheers!

The replicas you link to should work fine, and they will generally go on without any mods so long as you get the correct fitment.

As for the lowering, it really depends how much you want to spend. I'm a fan of eibachs pro-kit springs, bit pricier that some of the others but they're good quality.

http://www.lr90.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=288

Thats a pic of craigs S4 fitted with an eibach pro-kit as an example.

The nose up stance you talk about often happens on the stock springs, especially on quattros, as the rear springs are prone to sagging/breaking. If you go for a pro-kit, be aware that they list two kits for a 1.8, one with and one without aircon. I suspect that you really want the "without aircon" kit regardless, as the "with" kit is really aimed at the heavier engined vehicles.

If you want the absolutely cheapest method, then get yourself on ebay and buy some 40mm lowering springs.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jamex-Lowerin...s_SM?hash=item53d8755fa0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Something like that will do the job.

Cheers for the help mate!

Yes I am on a bit of a budget so i think it will be the latter of the two sping options. But what i don't want to do is waste money on the cheapest wheels and springs and it ending up looking like a cheap copy.

I know beggers can't be choosers but I want the most modern look for the car including that grill on the first picture^

Is the grill custom made or are they widely available?

Any ideas where i can get a pic of a black a4 with the silver s-line type mirror covers?

Can you get replica rs4 wheels an off silver, more towards anthracite? or will i have to get them re-sprayed?

Sorry for all the questions but i've searched to no avail! so if any one can help me out i'd appreciate it greatly

Cheers

^^^ You'll have to sell the springs fast - I lowered the car to the wheels last night, and the S8 oil pan wasn't too far off the ground.

Bearing in mind, the suspension will settle even further once the car has been driven!

Perfect for a 1,8 / 1,8T, but definitely far from ideal for a 4,2L V8 32V.

Last edited:
Ok, i've noticed you've flared your arches out, will the wheels fit neatly under my standard arches? did you use spacers?

Ok, i've noticed you've flared your arches out, will the wheels fit neatly under my standard arches? did you use spacers?

My car's indeed wider, but not flared out B5 arches.

All panels are OEM B5 RS4, which is of course wider than regular A4 / S4.

sorry siena i'm confused now. who car is in paul's link?

Last edited:
Its pauls, however both paul and sienas car have rs4 bodywork, which is a good bit wider than stock.

I'd personally be a bit wary of running 60mm springs on standard shocks.

That's my car up there. :sm4:
The rims you posted up are a bit brigther than mine I think. But they look more realistic than mine with the deeper centre.
The grill is an RS4 grill that I have painted black.

Very mean front end,...................until you get to the Micky Mouse ears :)

Mmmm Black on black. Just the look that i love!

As dan says, not keen on the mirrors, but those arent a biggie.

The mirrors weren't there for long anyways ;)

I would really love it if I could get a pair of mirrors from the UK, so I can run 2x small mirrors on the car.

Mäki;815312 said:
That's my car up there. :sm4:
The rims you posted up are a bit brigther than mine I think. But they look more realistic than mine with the deeper centre.
The grill is an RS4 grill that I have painted black.

Hi mate, gorgous car! Yes i'll be getting me one of them grills. So they come on a rs4 and fit straight on? where's the best place to get one? ebay?

Also where are the rear lights from?

I prefer the shade of wheels you've got on there to the ones i've linked to. can you remember what make yours are and a link if possible...

Cheers!

Yep its an RS4 grille and its a streight fit.

They're over £100 new these days, but pop up on ebay nd go for 60-70ish.

Hi mate, gorgous car! Yes i'll be getting me one of them grills. So they come on a rs4 and fit straight on? where's the best place to get one? ebay?

Also where are the rear lights from?

I prefer the shade of wheels you've got on there to the ones i've linked to. can you remember what make yours are and a link if possible...

Cheers!
As said above, the grille is a straight fit.

The rear-lights are bought on 12Volt Design, but I got help with ordering them, I cant figure that damn site out!! But the make of the lights are inpro so try to find a seller that can order those lights for you.
rckleucht12246876621491.jpg

I'm sorry, but I bought my rims early 2007 and the company that I bought them from don't exist any more. These looks like mine though: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-RS4-ALLOY-...s_ET?hash=item19b6b10313&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

:icon_thumright:

Ok thanks for the informaton, you're a great help. The wheels you have on there are 18" x 8 is that correct? how much have you lowered it by and what springs did you use?

Yes, 18"x8" i'm not quite sure about the springs, but I think it's H&R 40mm lowering springs on it (they were on when I bought the car.)

It looks lower than 40mm to me but i'm not too familiar with a4's at the moment so i'll have to take your word! ha!

Here's another pic of the car, with the rims and everyting. After all, you seems to be a bit curious about it. :)

Hm, I had another A4 before this one, I lowered that 40mm and used the same rims.

Thats the exact look i'm after! ok, so if i go with 40mm lowering springs on my standard 96 1.8 i should achieve the same affect?

Mäki;815487 said:
Here's another pic of the car, with the rims and everyting. After all, you seems to be a bit curious about it. :)

Haha!, yes i must admit it's a gorgeous car

yes please. some nice pictures there mate but i can't figure out how to see all the pics in the album as it's in another language!