weekend of achievement!

jcb

Reaction score
had a long weekend and actually managed to get some time to myself...and more importantly my motor!
hoping to update my build thread (which has been particularly slow!) when I get some news from my engine builder tomorrow. woeful attempt to do it myself, too much on and not time (not to mention lack of skill) so I boxed it all up and dropped it off at Engine Services. will be back in a couple of weeks hopefully

but it in the meantime i have done some sorely needed cosmetic and structural stuff.

1st up. annoying clunk from the rear when booting it. was convinced something was moving around so bought some shiny bits from 034.
culprit was rear diff support bracket and bush.

surprisingly easy job and instant noise removal. feels a bit less sloppy when flooring it after each gear change.

Old: easily moved around soft bush
IMAGE_039.jpg

Shiny New one from Apikol...solid:

IMAGE_040.jpg

In situ:
IMAGE_042.jpg

Next...front bumper which I have been putting off for 4 months:

used to look like this:
IMAG0308-1.jpg

IMAG0309.jpg

I cut the middle spars out of the S4 bumper but never got round to fitting all the modded grills back in.
middle grill was sitting on my desk for ages, intercooler was not low enough to refit fogs and a bit shiny for my liking!
before:
IMAGE_043.jpg

half way:
IMAGE_045.jpg

light coat of matt black on anything shiny

Stealthy result:
IMAGE_046-1.jpg

just need to finish the holes off left where the middle spars were chopped out six months ago!! bumpers getting a respray in a couple of montsh anyway.

very pleased with myself, first time I have had the bumper off without breaking something! much easier on an S4 as you can reach in from the front grill and prise the side clips off without bending anything.

just need to get this never ending engine build and turbo fitted!

you saying it looks *****?! ;)
got that lot for free. easily replaced if some nice doner steps up with some wider stuff.
I actually quite like it is it is plastic coated metal and easily bent back into shape when things hit it...as they do quite often!

Olds: I forget the exact figure for the bush which probably means it was more than I have convinced myself it was! $180 seems to ring a bell. very nice bit of kit, totally over enginered and too shiny for its purpose.
Am going to rebuild the old one with some solid polyurethane if you want to take that off my hands when done. have found a nice source of 90 grade poly for the job

id be very interested, have you got liquid poly or a solid piece? or id be interested as it is to fill myself, im back down to 2 cars and the stuff ive got takes a week to fully harden

$180, looks quality but couldnt justify that

I haven't had a proper look at it yet, need to get the wife out the house so I can get it in the dishwasher to clean it up!!
probably a solid lump as I am looking at mocking up some inserts for OEM peices otherwise two part poly resin mix in liquid form

rear sub frame mounts, front snub, engine mounts and gearbox mounts.
rest going in when I pull the engine hopefully end of the month.

discovered the rear diff seals are shot too....luckily they were coming out anyway as I bought a Quaife ATB from a guy who had bought the wrong one for his S4 about 9 months ago. 180 brake doesn't justify it.....350 might

Oh nice, I would like all those parts at some point. What was the cost of all the mounts 034 bits together?

I dont know where you find these diffs and £100 millteks!

Ha,
I got in on the front mount group buy (tried to russle up interest on here but no takers!)
think it was $350 for snub, engine and transmission mounts.
Apikol rear was $250 when I checked my email (wish I hadn't now!)
rear frame bushes were £165 for four.
plus some shipping.
he did me a good deal on the label as it read $100 :)

I get deals like thsoe because I spend waaaaay too much time on the web!
what I save on parts I lose in lost business!!

Yeah I remember that group buy. Was tempted by it but I kind of forgot all about it.

So was about £600 for the lot, quite a bit but should make the car feel a bit nicer.

I may have to get saving for some of these. Not bought anything for the car in ages.

I'd have to wonder how much difference you'd get from poly filling the stock mount compared with that thing you paid $250 for...

What type of rear subframe bushes did you get? New OE? Poly? Alloy?

I wouldn't have the underfloor bling factor though would I!
its an awkward thing to fill, lot of work chopping the centre out to replace it after filling the void.

Went for Poly rears but am considering the alloy ones as the work in removing OE and replacing ploy is a subframe off job and a bitch at that.
not looking forward to that one!

not cheap but I saw the engine nearly jump out of the bay when I had the base dyno done. god knows what the gearbox and subframe ones are like with 100k on them

already looking for one. would like to paint one and fit rather than being off the road for a week! tricky finding B5 quattros in scrappies here. anyone want to sell a rear subframe!

mint rs4 back end coplete on pistonheads.

got a link, I can't find it...

£550 is a bit rich for me. final drive won't match so I would have to shift the diff.
will give him a bell though cheers

It looks pretty much as new condition but a bit steep.