Wiring loom swap..

Lee Goodall

Reaction score
I will be swapping the wiring loom in my 1996 A4 (AEB engine) to the newer type (97>) loom to take a newer ECU.

Will there be any compatibility issues with sensors etc.. AFAIK the lambda probe is slightly different and will throw a fault code but is there anything else to expect?

Nope should be ok, you 'may' have a prob with the MAF, but thats not 100% ad the early (expensive) MAF covers the early models so should actually be ok

That's ok then.. I have two older type mafs and a newer one in my Audi warehouse (garage) lol.

I know the Lambdas are different as I ordered one for mine and it turned out the part changed for 97> cars... I have one spare now anyway!

Got Audis/parts all over the place at the minute ha.

Yeah, I had a problem with my MAF when I spliced in an older loom... you need to keep your existing MAF and the connector for it... the other one 'might' not be compatible.

But, if you're putting in a new ECU, then you should need to use a newer MAF too... I would have thought.

Have you got the blue/green 4 pin one on yours?

If so you are good to go. Some early ones had a seperate sender for the air con, grey IIRC

I think you should find the MAF,the N80,the ICM, the coils,injectors etc the connectors are all the same for those too from memory. You need to move closer,lol

Should be fine then.. cheers.

The journey from yours to the Mids is lovely though. Maybe you should do it more often lol

You sorted out some fuel injectors yet for the T28?

I've been looking at some cheap OE bosch injectors that will flow 475cc/min at 3 bar and should fit the AEB rail (they're a direct swap for Bosch "fatbody" EV1's in a different engine)... Think they'll do about 500-510cc/min at 4 bar, and you can get a full set, brand new, for about 80-100quid.

You'll likely also need a new fuel pump, i doubt the standard one will be man enough to flow 475cc/min at 5-6 bar...

You sorted out some fuel injectors yet for the T28?

I've been looking at some cheap OE bosch injectors that will flow 475cc/min at 3 bar and should fit the AEB rail (they're a direct swap for Bosch "fatbody" EV1's in a different engine)... Think they'll do about 500-510cc/min at 4 bar, and you can get a full set, brand new, for about 80-100quid.

You'll likely also need a new fuel pump, i doubt the standard one will be man enough to flow 475cc/min at 5-6 bar...

Worth considering then.

I was going for 415 or 440CC possibly Genesis or Delphi with the 4 bar FPR. A lot of the bigger Bosch injectors that I've seen have a narrow spray pattern.. which is obviously not good for multi-valve heads.

These are standard fit on a Vauxhall Astra VXR, and people use them as a direct replacement for the injectors on the C20LET engine, which uses the same Bosch EV1's as the AEB does.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=VXR+Injectors&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Few on there, a couple of them brand new, and one with a 99p start.

Mate of mine has a set, so i can find out from him the bosch part number if you want to look up any more tech specs of them?