Mark's '98 2.8 Quattro build thread

heymynameismark

Cool beans.
Reaction score
Hey everyone! My name's Mark and I'm from Aberdeen, Scotland.

Here's my 1998 Volcano Black A4 2.8 30v V6 Quattro

Sally :)

37696977.jpg

87918985.jpg

91489706.jpg

53521659.jpg

10266572.jpg

84751790.jpg

39257880.jpg

A few wee things coming up;

Orange corners! FedEx are currently in posession on their way across the States. Sourced and then shipped here to Scotland with some awesome help from Tyler! :D Should be late next week for them to be here :)

And I'm waiting on my V5 documents to come through so I can get my private reg transferred over and onto the car. Short plates off the Civic I'll be putting on for now:

pplatekv8.jpg

Always with the Nixon too ;) :)

715205270a11438960897o.jpg

Got some of my Natty's Blue on last weekend! :)

Still need to go over her properly with my girl. She does a better job than me at it! :cool:

cle1.jpg

cle2x.jpg

cle3.jpg

cle4.jpg

A brown box arrived from across the pond today from a friend in the US!

Gonna fit them tomorrow night/weekend, so will get fitted pics up then. Can't wait :D

lights2d.jpg

Also gonna make a good start to getting through this lot. Me and Moonah will be enjoying a fine bowl of breakfast tomorrow followed by an orangey beverage :laugh: Awesome!

goodies2u.jpg

Went in past my girlfriend's place this morning for a bowl of Lucky Charms and fitted the lights whilst we were there! :D Lovvvvvve them!

Old corners:

lights3.jpg

New US spec corners:

lights4o.jpg

lights5.jpg

A few pics I snapped in the morning sun :cool:

sun1j.jpg

sun2o.jpg

sun3.jpg

sun4l.jpg

sun5.jpg

Looking good.

Ever thought of sourcing a US trunk to complete the look? Your license plate's short enough.

Thanks, man :)

Yeah I have actually. Got one lined up potentially, so will look into it when I have a bit of spare cash!

Any reason you didnt go for a facelift light upgrade when you were changing the indicators?

I like black cars, and the TQS wheels look really good!

Not sure i'm into the orange corners though, i like the dark and moody look, so i'd have been going for smoked sides and dechromed facelift light units.

Didn't have the money or the incline to move to facelift lights just yet - don't know if I will yet either!

I lovessss the amber corners :)

Some crap news... parked at my girlfriend's work last night. She turns to me and says, "Mark... that car's just reversed into you!"

We both stood there for a second trying to figure out if they had. I ran out, by this time the car is exiting the car park. It was pitch black, got my phone out and light to see my bumper and right enough... scratch that has taken a small line of paint off and then surface scratches all the way along from the middle to the far O/S of the bumper. I jumped in the car to see if I could follow them, but it was too late and there were too many directions they could have disappeared to.

We're waiting til next Thursday when we know the same class will be on (it had just finished as this person left) and keeping an eye out for this light coloured 4-door saloon with boot spoiler should be parked again. It was either a 3-series Beemer or Subaru Imprezza.

I'm so angry that someone could do that and just drive off :(

Here's hoping we'll find them and have a wee talk to get this sorted.

Every corner of our motor is scraped to **** from carparks, most of it as far as we can tell from when dawn was parking it at the uni. And they're not light scrapes either, right thru the paint and into the bumper plastic on most of them.

I suspect that part of it is that people simply dont notice (if it was light enough to only leave a scratch there wouldnt be much noise for instance), or that they dont really consider it a problem. Given that to most people a car is just a device to do a job, in the same way a lawnmower or microwave does a job, a little scrape doesnt affect the cars ability to function so whats the problem? Obviously there are also some folk who will think "erm i'm out of here, i dont want an insurance claim ruining my NCB".

A guy reversed into craigs S4 last month, and when he got out he basically said "ach thats only a wee scrape eh?" as if craig was just going to shrug it off. Luckily the guy admitted it was his fault and the insurance claim went thru without any problems.

Even if you do find the person next week, their likely reaction will be "me? nah wasnt me mate." either because they genuinely didnt notice, or because they know you aint got any way of proving it, and regardless of how convinced you are, without a reg plate to identify them how can you be sure? Maybe if theres still a nice black score up their bumper, but if there is that probably means they werent aware of it atall, because if the were they'd have been streight out with the T-Cut to remove the evidence!

Uch.. exactly. It's a **** situation and I kinda know how it's gonna end up. They knew they did it, but to prove it now will be a pain in the ****. Unless, like on occasion, they will actually be a very honest and straight forward person. Not very likely these days, but it does happen.

Will just have to see how it pans out. Moonah's been ringing round bodyshops today for me. We're going to get it checked out tomorrow afternoon for a quote. If we can't get it sorted out by finding the person, she's gonna be sorting it out for my Christmas for me apparently. My girl's amazing! :D

Oh thats a bummer Mark. Hope you find out who did it and make them pay one way or another.

So whats this I hear about you trying to sell your car. :aggressive:

Finally got round to cleaning up the boot lid this weekend :)

My girl and I headed out with some sticky stuff remover and some string to get to it!

Removing A4, 2.8 and Quattro badges as well as the remaining adhesive from under the old plates which shows on either side of my short ones.

In progress shot - Moonah at work :D

badges1.jpg

String was too thick, but London's Oyster card has many uses when not actually travelling in London

badges2.jpg

Sticky Stuff Remover applied

badges3.jpg

badges4.jpg

Lookin' better already, still a bit to go though

badges5.jpg

Well, y'know, we might as well clean the whole car whilst we're here baby... :p

My girl does very well at showing me just how to clean the car properly, she did about 93% of the work on Saturday so credit to her for clean and shiny Sally! Thanks baby :D

badges6.jpg

Pictures are a bit dark, but she looked AWESOME

badges7.jpg

badges8.jpg

Then off down to Glasgow the next day for our monthly Sunday Wagamama + Stand Comedy Club :cool:

badges9.jpg

waga.jpg

Last edited:
Looking nice!

You need to get your friend to start shipping US spec bootlids over here!

Thanks man :)

You'd be interested in one too? Me and Tyler have been lightly talking about doing this if there's interest!

Tyler mentioned it to me last week sometime and he was going to have a look around and see if there were any silver facelift trunks available and what price they were going for...

his car or his girlfriend?
or both? :)

Tut.

The car of course.

LOL

G/F looks okay too though. :undwech:

Hahaha... tut, tut to ya both :p

Tyler mentioned it to me last week sometime and he was going to have a look around and see if there were any silver facelift trunks available and what price they were going for...

Oh yeah? That's pretty awesome. I wanna be getting one too. Need to find one in my colour or a cheaper one that I could get sprayed here when it's over.

I havent been able to get on this site for a few days now for some reason,...not working for me.

Yea, Mark and I have been talking baout the best way to do this that would save money on shipping but still be safe for the lids. Ill keep you posted Geeman as we figure things out.

Loving the shaved *** Mark :sly:

Don't worry... it wasn't working for me over the weekend either... it's not you!

Nothing new except keepin' her sheeeeeen and cliny with all this bad weather we're having!

Got some leather care and treatment inside, good vacuum and Febreeze on the cartpets and mats followed by a good clean outside as well as oil and water top up :)

We're heading away for the weekend tomorrow morning. I hope this afternoon's cleaning session wasn't a waste!

I like pics, so here's some pics for ya!

wa0f.jpg

wa1p.jpg

Big shiny ***

wa2q.jpg

Old kicks now on "car-wash and dirty-tasks duties"

wa3r.jpg

These shots are a bit blurry - sorry

wa5l.jpg

wa6i.jpg

wa4h.jpg

nice clean car Mark! nice touch having a mate in the u.s, i wanted some stuff over there, however it was worth my while after customs tax etc.

Lovin the interior!

Borrowed my friend's camera recently to help someone with a website, so I took the opportunity to take some photos of the car parked at work :)

She's running great, never complains and has just passed the 100k mark now! Will need to get an oil change sorted soon too.

I apologise for how manky she is just now :(

ar2p.jpg

ar3.jpg

ar4.jpg

ar5.jpg

ar7.jpg

ar8t.jpg

ar9u.jpg

pluto.jpg

ar10.jpg

Whats the decal on the petrol flap mean? is a logo of some kind?

So whats next for her mate?

Not too sure with Christmas and some holidays coming up. Probably keep her sweet and tidy for a while first and see what lil things can be done. I really need a centre cap for one thing, haha.

Whats the decal on the petrol flap mean? is a logo of some kind?

It's the Nixon logo. I'm a big fan of Nixon watches :) www.nixonnow.com

cheers for the link some nice ones there you got any of those watches? seen 1 i like £500 :w00t:

cheers for the link some nice ones there you got any of those watches? seen 1 i like £500 :w00t:

Yeah, dude :) Got a current collection of 4 actually - gonna get another in the new year I think. Got a hankering for The Sultan, The Capital & The District.

I've currently got The Player, The Roadie, The Megatron and The Esquire

SNOW WAYYYYYYYYYY

This is my first experience with Sally in bad weather and holy crap, Quattro is just awesome. Really loving it. Grip and control is really, really good. 4WD drifting is too much fun as well.

Some photos!

22774_366216420443_520350443_10289134_6634034_n.jpg

9:15am...

22774_366241735443_520350443_10289291_3873895_n.jpg

3 hours later...
22774_367895045443_520350443_10303657_6727012_n.jpg

Car looks spot on. Those wheels look mint, theyreally suit the car, my favourite stock wheel I think. Actually what size are they?