Oil change?

Sir Chumpalot

Reaction score
Morning all,

After driving home yesterday I noticed the car felt quite sluggish, it was labouring quite badly in higher gears (sort of jerking) and didn't feel as responsive.

I have an issue with the car hesitating slightly before pulling but it seems to be getting worse.

Anyway, I decided to check my oil level when I got home and was amazed to see it below the minimum mark. My question is, can I just top this up or does the whole lot need to be replaced?

Thanks for any replies

Dave

well if it using it that quickly (assuming you had the correct a mount in not that long ago based on your amasement) then it probably hasn't had a chance to mess up what is left.
so long as it hasn't overheated or lost oil pressure I would just top it up.
but be aware if it is drinking oil then you may have a bigger more immediate problem.
1.8T?
smokes on start up? smokes under load (4th gear lower speed, hills)?

I have run lots of old smokers.
unlikely to spend any money on them I always found a tin of Wynns for Oil (technically called supercharger treatment) works a charm. like treacle, makes your 10w30 in 100W1000!! or something.

worth a punt for a fiver, can always change the oil and remove it at a later date

You can just top it up, unless its due a change anyway. Ours regularly makes trips down there when i forget to check it for a while. Ours uses about 1.5-2L every 5k, most probably because its done 190k! Had it off the bottom of the dipstick a few times too!

I also doubt its in any way related to the performance issue. If it was the engine would be completely knackered :p

Thanks for the replies.

It's a 2.8 30v. 142k on the clock. The problem was with lower revs yes, and hills. No smoking at all.

I've put the hesitating down to just a quirk with the engine, I've read so much about it on here and it could be a multitude of things. Certainly not something I'm going to spend lots of money on trying to sort out. Minor problem. Idle is lumpy too but again, just a quirk I can live with.

So any 5w 40 oil will do? Halfrauds jobby?

halfords is expensive.

I use 5w40 synthetic oil from my local motor factors, usually costs 15-20 a gallon depending on what deals they're doing. Baught some recently from maccess for 9.99 a gallon plus vat, but thats a trade place.

Buy a 5L bottle, as its usually much better value, and it means when you come to do an oil change, you've got some spare and only need to buy one gallon of oil.

the 2.8 30v as an oil capacity of 5.7 litres so you will need to by at least 6 litres do what i do take it in to national tyres and for £34.00 you get an oil and filter change using castrol edge 5x30 i have the same engine and it loves this stuff

Given that 6 litres of Edge costs more than £34 even at trade prices, i'd be worried by that offer...

If something looks too good to be true it usually is...

i dont think even national tyres are that stupid not to use what they advertise the last five oil changes on my car have been done there and it runs like a swiss clock they buy it in massive bulk hence the price

I just cant see how its possible, at trade prices a 4L bottle of edge is about 30quid + vat. Even if you buy it in huge drums, its still not going to be that much cheaper. It doesnt make economic sense to be able to offer the oil, half an hours labour and a new filter for £35, leaving enough left over to pay for the overheads and still turn a profit?

It seems your right though, they're advertising it on their website, £34 for an oilchange with 5w30 edge upto a maximum of 7 litres.

Madness!

Thinking about it though, its perhaps a loss leader, you go in for your oil change and they say "oh these tyres are done", "do you fancy a free brake check" etc

Mate of mine recently baught a cheapish LHD car for moving to spain. Took it for an MOT at a repuatble garage which it passed, no advisories. Then took it to one of these fastfit places for an oil change, kwikfit or national or the likes, as it was cheaper than paying the garage to do it.
Bloke told him the front two tyres were illegal and the rears were dodgy. Mate was on the phone to me saying "um what do i do", i'm like err tell the boy it was MOT'd yestarday and see what he says...

The man at the counter got all flustered then said "oh wait, is your car the proton? sorry wrong car."!

totaly agree with you they want to take your car apart and sell you other stuff but all you have to say is no thank you they do check your car over and give you advisories sometimes with reason and sometimes to sell you parts