S4 vs 3000GT

jxm96c

Reaction score
Website
www.drmong.plus.com
Had a go in a 3000GT (actually imported GTO) over the weekend and man... what a car!!! Has anyone tried that out? How does that compare to the S4, and I mean say a 99/00 3GT and S4, as they're costing about the same. The 3GT has 300bhp under the hood and it sprints to 60 in 5.46s, in stats the S4 has 265 and does about the same sort of acceleration, but being quite a heavy car and both 4wd I don't see how with less bhp the S4 can out run the 3GT at the lights? I've never tried an S4 before so I couldn't say, but if you have please advice as I'm seriously considering a new fast car for Oct now.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Jules

its all about what your after...

Do you want 4 doors and a car that both sophisticated ladies and the lads like? The S4 would be the one...

Further, the S4 is easy to squeeze power out of being a turbo charged car. Your likely to make it out that next bend in the S4 too... good luck with the GTO!

Parts, local knowledge etc... only one choice for me!

I found GTO specs and S4 specs can be found on here somewhere. Gear ratios can make cars perform diferently. These two cars have nearly identical final drive gearing, but the S4 is shorter (better for acceleration) in 1st, 4th 5th and 6th. 0-60 usually only uses 1st, 2nd and maybe 3rd. They also have different sized tires, which affect gear ratios. The S4s 224/45 17 is about 25 inches in diameter where the GTOs 245/40 18 is almost 3/4 of an inch larger. That means the GTOs tires require more torque in order to get them rolling.

It could also be in power delivery. Both are twin cam V6 motors but the S4 is a 9.3:1 compression engine with two small turbos where the GTO is only 8.0:1 compression and two (probably larger) turbos. The larger turbos will spool slower and provide less low end torque. The S4 in stock form has an awesome torque curve peaking around 1800 RPM at over 250 ft/lbs. Torque is what makes a car move and the S4 definitely has it.

I'd say it's the combination of tire size and power delivery. The S4 gets the benefit of less rotational mass on it's smaller diameter tires along with great torque at low RPMs. Chip the S4 to get the same power output and the GTO will look pretty slow.

Hi,
Never driven an S4 but have been into one while fairly pushed to its limit and have driven the 3000GT (chipped one though) and I tell you the Mitsu is blindingly quick
Sorry but I don't think the S4 is even close to that kind of pace
The chip could make a difference though

They're two completely different cars, like comparing an S3 with a Lotus Exige.
If you're doing a lot of miles then the S4 is the one. If you just want a fast coupe then its the Mitsi.
Not really a fair comparison, but having said that the S4 is even more impressive by giving the GT a run for its money, p*ssing all over it in the wet.

> p*ssing all over it in the wet

Do you mean the 4wd? The GTO has that too and twin turbo charged... I've not been in an S4 before but the GTO blew me away, the kind of pace (and the noise!) just makes my 1.8TSQ look like a slug.

I don't do a lot of miles, I suspect it'll only be 5k a year max and mpg don't concern me (the S4 is not that much higher anyway), but if I were to go for an older GTO I'd have thousands to spend on the GTO with the money from selling my A4... certainly tempting... and there aren't many S4's about for sale. Apart from Fontain where else should I look for quality S4s?

As everyone has said, two very different cars.

One is a large 2 door Coupe Grand Tourer, the other a medium size Sports saloon.

The GTO is often criticised as a poor drivers car, because of all the complex electronics, taking away the involvement from the driver - four wheel drive, four wheel sterring, traction control, electronic spoilers - Its a very trick car.

There are other comparable Japanese cars - 300zx/Fairlady, Supra TT and the Skyline GTR(best of them by far)

It lacks the class and quality of the S4, but it certainly turns more heads.

Both cars very tunable.

Yes, I must admit the class factor is a major difference. I personally love the supra and the gtr (not a big fan of 300zx) but the amount of torque from the gto is rather stunning compared to the supra and the gtr (33/34) is not cheap.

So for now a GTO seems like a good cheap transition into some fast fun. I'll lower the suspension (forget the electronics) and get rid of the auto spoiler (fit my own) so that would take away a lot of the dirty tricks. But the 4wd is useful as it gives it pace at the lights... not that the S4 don't have traction and 4wd anyway...

If I hadn't been driving Audi's for 5 years I'd go for the S4 for sure, but having had a lovely 1.8TSQ for some time it would be a bit weird to get the same interior (altho I love it, nothing beats Audi on that) again. I might even keep the A4 and get the GTO as a 2nd car if my insurance stays low with the NCBs transferred over to the jap.