EM TuningVolks Autos

Thread: brakes

1st Gear

Status

brakes

had some suspension arms changed the other day and since i had it done theres been a noise coming from the engine bay and a vibration through my brake pedle..it come on midway threw braking and lasts until i stop.
    i took it back straight away and he jumped in the car and drove itand said it was the abs "remembering" and siad it should stop in 10 mile or so...its now been 70 mile and its still there..i'm going back at 12 but does anyone know exactly what is happening to my brakes.
    cheers joss

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    If it is an ABS activation then hes either damaged or dislodged the ABS sensor when doing the work.

ABS doesnt need to "remember" anything, thats just the usual garage bull****.

If you have vagcom try a scan and see if it shows which sensor its not happy with.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status
    not got vagcom..but i'll make sure he fixes it whatever hes feckin done..i'll get him to check the sensors...cheers dude

1st Gear

Status
    he says everything looks fine and can't figure out whats wrong....the bloke he says has vagcom is on holiday for 2 weeks and theres nothing he can do...what should i do now.????
    Last edited by joss; 14th September 2009 at 13:02.

Fully Certified Detailer!!

Status
    play feck with hem mate, garages will always try and pull a fast one so dont sit there and take it, play feck with them like i do unil he sorts it, if he trys to be an arse about it then say your off to trading standards. if it is a good garage then he should try his best to help you, it sounds like the abs mate, i had the same problem with my last car. try and take the fuse out for the abs!! i did that and the brakes were fine wihout shuddering but no abs but do it to try and see if it is the abs or summin, eliminate the options.

2nd Gear

Status
    stick the nut on him thats what i usually do, its never got me anywhere in life but makes you feel better......

1st Gear

Status
    he said to come back when the mans back off holiday. was a cash deal as well when i had the arms changed..i'm really starting to get fecked off

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s4marsh View Post
    stick the nut on him thats what i usually do, its never got me anywhere in life but makes you feel better......
    ha ha

Status
    joss try the fuse mate, if it stops the shuddering then you know its the abs and its been damaged when the things were done and then you have summin to fight with, they are easily damaged but if a gargae done it then they should replace, your talking 100 for the sensor so play feck with him and like marsh said, stick the head in him if he a t**t lol

1st Gear

Status
    deffo think its the abs, wheres the fuse?

Status
    look in your book you have witt the car, it has the index page whichtells you every fuse and wot they are for

1st Gear

Status
    ha ha yeah i'm going to get it now...i'm just so f$$ked off with with things going wrong at the minute i wasn't thinking.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    if you pull the fuse the car gets very angry and the dash board is constantly in your face about it, however it will allow you to see if it is actaully an ABS activation or something else, and let you drive safely until you get it fixed.

If it IS ABS its quite obvious, you can hear the pump whirr under the bonnet, pedal bounces and the braking is usually pretty crap.

It might just be a sensor thats not pushed fully home, but if its reading incorrectly enough that its firing the ABS i'm surprised its not decided its faulty and given you the three beeps and (!) on the DIS.

Have you had it up at motorway speeds, or just around town?

1st Gear

Status
    it does whir from the bonnet and i can feel it in the pedle but it brakes ok and therers no warning lights on and only been from walsall to brum once on the motor way since i had the arms and mot done.
    it only kicks in just before you pull up while breaking..

1st Gear

Status
    fuse out car fine ,fuse in ****e car

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Basically it means one of the sensors is dropping to 0mph when the rest of them are still reading a speed. This might be because the sensor isnt seated properly or it might be a faulty sensor or a corroded pickup wheel.

It must be working ok at higher speeds as if the sensor stayed at 0 while the rest of them were at a much higher speed then the ABS system would detect the fault and turn off.

Might be worth giving the ABS rings a wire brush and see if you can push the sensors in a little more on the front?

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Dirty reluctor ring or sensor/ The sensor could also be not pushed in corretcly.

My bet is some crap has got into the ring teet when they split the joints, as in all fairness there is no reason for them to have touched the braking system to change the arms.

If the sensors will wiggle out, clean the tip and maybe peer into the hole to see if the ring teeth are all visable, if not dislodge the crud witht the tip of a screwdriver or small brush etc

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by joss View Post
    fuse out car fine ,fuse in ****e car
    thought it would do that, yea mate like mark and aragorn said they mite have not put the sensor back in enough or it mite be dirty or summin, lets hope it is as mine were fecked due to changing suspension and the wire got caught and tore one of the wires so had to get new one. try cleaning it to see if it sorts it. if not then jus drive with the fuse out but be carefull and no racing around lol until you can rectify the problem

hope its simple to fix

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan A4 View Post
    Dirty reluctor ring or sensor/ The sensor could also be not pushed in corretcly.

My bet is some crap has got into the ring teet when they split the joints, as in all fairness there is no reason for them to have touched the braking system to change the arms.

If the sensors will wiggle out, clean the tip and maybe peer into the hole to see if the ring teeth are all visable, if not dislodge the crud witht the tip of a screwdriver or small brush etc

well thats what i thought that they didn't need to touch the brakes but it's only started since they had it.
    he cleaned out some crap from in the holes but it didn't do nothing
    if i pull out the sensor does it just pop back in or does it have to go in a certain amount.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S4twiggy View Post
    jus drive with the fuse out but be carefull and no racing around lol until you can rectify the problem
    wouldn't it be safer to just leave it as is

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    push all the way in, spin the wheel/Shaft if it doesnt touch you are all good. If it does pull it slightly. I am sure there is a more technical method somewhere, but i have have had no probs so far

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    depends how stuck the good olde pinch bolt was, they may well have had the whole thing out and on the bench...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by joss View Post
    wouldn't it be safer to just leave it as is
    i drove my a4 for nearly a year with the fuse out. my abs sensor was big time gone and the pedal shudder was to much to live with so took it out, if you can live with the shudder until you get it done then i suppose it will be safer but my brakes were crap as the shudder wasnt slowing me down.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    depends how stuck the good olde pinch bolt was, they may well have had the whole thing out and on the bench...
    saying that he did say he had to "get the whole lot out"

1st Gear

Status
    i can't get under the car at the minute, i need a flat surface as my road is not exactly flat or level

1st Gear

Status
    they also changed a a cv boot while they did the arms, if this helps

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

maybe grease on the teeth then, really hard to contain that CV stuuf, it has a life of it;s own

1st Gear

Status
    don't know but just tried to get sensor out and didn't look like it was going to budge easy...i give up

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

hmm That can often be the case, maybe soak it in wd40.

They remove the upright, whack the crap out of it to release the pinch bolt, this vibration can lossen the sensor enough to move it. Then this occurs, problem is the damn sensor is plastic so hard to man handle to move it.

I have managed to free them with a slight soak and a large set of grips ( not too tight) and twist side to side to loosen it

1st Gear

Status
    sound like a ball ache i can do without..
    any body got a value on my car i'm gonna get rid..though don't suppose theres much point with this problem.

2.6 quattro just passed it mot needs abs looking at.coilovers and a8 alloys all curbed.

6th Gear

Status
    You can nock the sensor out, put the disk on a hard flat surface sensor towards the ground and poke a large screw driver through the wheel nut holes and wack it quite hard but once only from each hole and when you do one move to the opposite side to stop it from bending.

I had this problem and one of them was bent. They have to stay close to the sensor in the hub or it can't detect it. they may have bent them or not put them back on straight.
    A4 Avant project now started ! see this thread ! http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/43296-bit-project-going.html
    If you think my post had a usefull purpose please say thanks

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    sounds like a rear one your on about?

Seen as they've been at his front suspension its most likely its a front sensor thats away?