brakes

joss

Reaction score
had some suspension arms changed the other day and since i had it done theres been a noise coming from the engine bay and a vibration through my brake pedle..it come on midway threw braking and lasts until i stop.
i took it back straight away and he jumped in the car and drove itand said it was the abs "remembering" and siad it should stop in 10 mile or so...its now been 70 mile and its still there..i'm going back at 12 but does anyone know exactly what is happening to my brakes.
cheers joss

If it is an ABS activation then hes either damaged or dislodged the ABS sensor when doing the work.

ABS doesnt need to "remember" anything, thats just the usual garage ********.

If you have vagcom try a scan and see if it shows which sensor its not happy with.

not got vagcom..but i'll make sure he fixes it whatever hes ****** done..i'll get him to check the sensors...cheers dude

he says everything looks fine and can't figure out whats wrong....the bloke he says has vagcom is on holiday for 2 weeks and theres nothing he can do...what should i do now.????

Last edited:
play feck with hem mate, garages will always try and pull a fast one so dont sit there and take it, play feck with them like i do unil he sorts it, if he trys to be an **** about it then say your off to trading standards. if it is a good garage then he should try his best to help you, it sounds like the abs mate, i had the same problem with my last car. try and take the fuse out for the abs!! i did that and the brakes were fine wihout shuddering but no abs but do it to try and see if it is the abs or summin, eliminate the options.

stick the nut on him thats what i usually do, its never got me anywhere in life but makes you feel better......

he said to come back when the mans back off holiday. was a cash deal as well when i had the arms changed..i'm really starting to get fecked off

joss try the fuse mate, if it stops the shuddering then you know its the abs and its been damaged when the things were done and then you have summin to fight with, they are easily damaged but if a gargae done it then they should replace, your talking £100 for the sensor so play feck with him and like marsh said, stick the head in him if he a t**t lol

deffo think its the abs, wheres the fuse?

look in your book you have witt the car, it has the index page whichtells you every fuse and wot they are for

ha ha yeah i'm going to get it now...i'm just so f$$ked off with with things going wrong at the minute i wasn't thinking.

if you pull the fuse the car gets very angry and the dash board is constantly in your face about it, however it will allow you to see if it is actaully an ABS activation or something else, and let you drive safely until you get it fixed.

If it IS ABS its quite obvious, you can hear the pump whirr under the bonnet, pedal bounces and the braking is usually pretty crap.

It might just be a sensor thats not pushed fully home, but if its reading incorrectly enough that its firing the ABS i'm surprised its not decided its faulty and given you the three beeps and (!) on the DIS.

Have you had it up at motorway speeds, or just around town?

it does whir from the bonnet and i can feel it in the pedle but it brakes ok and therers no warning lights on and only been from walsall to brum once on the motor way since i had the arms and mot done.
it only kicks in just before you pull up while breaking..

Basically it means one of the sensors is dropping to 0mph when the rest of them are still reading a speed. This might be because the sensor isnt seated properly or it might be a faulty sensor or a corroded pickup wheel.

It must be working ok at higher speeds as if the sensor stayed at 0 while the rest of them were at a much higher speed then the ABS system would detect the fault and turn off.

Might be worth giving the ABS rings a wire brush and see if you can push the sensors in a little more on the front?

Dirty reluctor ring or sensor/ The sensor could also be not pushed in corretcly.

My bet is some crap has got into the ring teet when they split the joints, as in all fairness there is no reason for them to have touched the braking system to change the arms.

If the sensors will wiggle out, clean the tip and maybe peer into the hole to see if the ring teeth are all visable, if not dislodge the crud witht the tip of a screwdriver or small brush etc

fuse out car fine ,fuse in ***** car

thought it would do that, yea mate like mark and aragorn said they mite have not put the sensor back in enough or it mite be dirty or summin, lets hope it is as mine were fecked due to changing suspension and the wire got caught and tore one of the wires so had to get new one. try cleaning it to see if it sorts it. if not then jus drive with the fuse out but be carefull and no racing around lol until you can rectify the problem

hope its simple to fix

Dirty reluctor ring or sensor/ The sensor could also be not pushed in corretcly.

My bet is some crap has got into the ring teet when they split the joints, as in all fairness there is no reason for them to have touched the braking system to change the arms.

If the sensors will wiggle out, clean the tip and maybe peer into the hole to see if the ring teeth are all visable, if not dislodge the crud witht the tip of a screwdriver or small brush etc

well thats what i thought that they didn't need to touch the brakes but it's only started since they had it.
he cleaned out some crap from in the holes but it didn't do nothing
if i pull out the sensor does it just pop back in or does it have to go in a certain amount.

push all the way in, spin the wheel/Shaft if it doesnt touch you are all good. If it does pull it slightly. I am sure there is a more technical method somewhere, but i have have had no probs so far

depends how stuck the good olde pinch bolt was, they may well have had the whole thing out and on the bench...

wouldn't it be safer to just leave it as is

i drove my a4 for nearly a year with the fuse out. my abs sensor was big time gone and the pedal shudder was to much to live with so took it out, if you can live with the shudder until you get it done then i suppose it will be safer but my brakes were crap as the shudder wasnt slowing me down.

depends how stuck the good olde pinch bolt was, they may well have had the whole thing out and on the bench...
saying that he did say he had to "get the whole lot out"

i can't get under the car at the minute, i need a flat surface as my road is not exactly flat or level

they also changed a a cv boot while they did the arms, if this helps

don't know but just tried to get sensor out and didn't look like it was going to budge easy...i give up

hmm That can often be the case, maybe soak it in wd40.

They remove the upright, whack the crap out of it to release the pinch bolt, this vibration can lossen the sensor enough to move it. Then this occurs, problem is the damn sensor is plastic so hard to man handle to move it.

I have managed to free them with a slight soak and a large set of grips ( not too tight) and twist side to side to loosen it

sound like a ball ache i can do without..
any body got a value on my car i'm gonna get rid..though don't suppose theres much point with this problem.

2.6 quattro just passed it mot needs abs looking at.coilovers and a8 alloys all curbed.

You can nock the sensor out, put the disk on a hard flat surface sensor towards the ground and poke a large screw driver through the wheel nut holes and wack it quite hard but once only from each hole and when you do one move to the opposite side to stop it from bending.

I had this problem and one of them was bent. They have to stay close to the sensor in the hub or it can't detect it. they may have bent them or not put them back on straight.

sounds like a rear one your on about?

Seen as they've been at his front suspension its most likely its a front sensor thats away?