cambelt change

pagey

Reaction score
hi all starting to think about a cambelt change on my 18t sport ,just done the turbo with no probs ,just wondering what kind of job is to do the cambelt ,if anyone has some hints and tips and a ruff price on parts i would appreciate it thanks

mike:icon_thumright:

very easy job, you can get full kit of ebay for £100 inc tensioner
theres only two points to line up, ive done two and i each time ive marked belt with tippex then transferred marks to new belt to be sure everything is still as it was (also there are a few belts available so it confirms youve got the right one)

and dont pull pin out of tensioner before fitting (like i did to see how strong it was) you need a vice to put it back in!

thanks mate for the tips ,is it better to take the front of the car off or just get it into service mode ,also how long did it take .
mike

Personally i would remove the front for proper access, especialy as it is your first time. Its a few hours work, maybe allow a day, and take your time. You can maybe give her some fresh oil and plugs etc when you are in there

is this the time to change the waterpump ? if the waterpump went later would it all have to come off again ,just a bit off preventive maintenance ,mark dont forget i only did the turbo last week so no need for oil change just yet i hope mate

id agree with mark, better in the long run to remove front and see exactly what your doing
took me a good few hours but spent an hour trying to remove 1 bolt after some twit rounded the socket head and then re used it

youll need some torx bits, 5+6mm allen bits and a (think it was 19mm) 12 point socket to turn crank

front would have to come out to change pump but cam belt doesnt i dont think, some people would recommend it especially if you were paying someone to do it but i wouldnt unless it was suspect
good time to add a poly snub mount though

On the B5 1.8t the WP is seperate to the timing belt and can be done with a fiddle from below/above. I would however consider changing it for the few quid it would cost.

I did it the other way round, my water pump was snafu so I thought I might as well do the cambelt while was at it.

Not a fun job but anyone with common sense and a bit of space to work in shouldn't find it a problem. Took me about 6 cups of tea and a bottle of Hoegaarten.

Last edited: