EM TuningMonster Motorsport

Status

MOT's make me laugh

So my old girl actually passed her 10th MOT yesterday without anything needing doing for the first time ever! They didn't even bother to pretend my headlights needed adjusting, which is a first. I took it to the same place as last year, when they advised me my brand new cheapo ebay suspension kit was already showing signs of its cheapness. This was an advisory on last years MOT. However, having done absolutely nothing about it (apart from verifying that yes indeed all the rubber bits on the arms already look about 10 years old and the front bottom rubbers protecting the balljoints have indeed completely split on both sides), they didn't even mention them this time, wierd.
    Anyway I'm well chuffed, that Meyle kit can wait another year!
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Probably wanted away home or had his mind on other things.

My ebay cheapo arm kit got a verbal advisory "there's a bit of play on the nearside top balljoints but you'll get another year out of them" at the MOT about 3 months after i fitted it, then about 2 months after that it was knocking, creaking and groaning and had wrecked both front tyres.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Status
    Umm just had 2 new front tyres, maybe I should bite the bullet and get it done. I just can't face the pain, although it should be a lot easier this time (why did I just say that!)
    Alex Turner

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Mine was a c*nt both times :P

First time it was the top pinch bolts, but i was stripping the whole lot down anyway so i just hauled the entire upright out and drilled the offending bolt out. Second time i tried to do it without removing the upright, but one of the bottom ball joints on the drivers side (the one you cant get anything into) wouldnt come apart and i had to strip the whole upright out again. To top it all off, i was changing the shocks while i had it apart that second time, and didnt realise the top mount needs to be aligned perfectly with the damper body or it wont go back on.

On mine the balljoints on the top arms failed (as well as all the creaking and groaning from the bushes, but it was the balljoints that did the damage), which caused the tracking and camber to change as you were driving along, and actually wore the tyres oval. Made some horrible vibrations too.

I think if you just keep an eye on them you'll be fine. Perhaps jack it up once a month and check the joints for play and listen out for creaking.

Status
    I've had the creaking about 3 months in but it seems to have gone away for the last 6 months, but I am getting judder on deceleration at highish speeds 70-80 which seems to be getting worse. The old front tyres wore really evenly, although the passenger side wear was worse than driver side.
    What did you swap yours with - Meyle or Lemforder?
    Alex Turner

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Meyle. Baught a "Full Kit" from german ebay, which encompases all the arms, arb drop links and TRE's for about 330. The main reason i went Meyle over lemforder is the Meyle arms are uprated and redesigned over stock. They've taken the audi arms and improved upon the balljoints by making them larger and suchlike.

Jack it up and have a wiggle. The two top balljoints on mine were worse than the old audi arms i'd taken off! If theres play then i'd get them changed soon before it kills the tyres.

Status
    Nice one thanks. I think my knuckles and patience have recovered enough from last time to give it another go.
    Alex Turner