AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Nez
    3rd Gear

Status

RS4 intercoolers

Hi guys I just find a RS4 intercoolers one of them was repaired the drivers side intercooler and both intercoolers have been cleaned and pressure tested and are fine.

And they guy wants 160 Incl delivery.

It incls the the shrouds too
    (Audi S4 351.9 PS, 603 Nm, MRC Custom Remap XS Power DP's, Cat Back Exhaust, Forge DV, RS4 Intercoolers, RS4 Breaks and Induction kit)

Traffic Exchange Site http://www.limehits4u.com/

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Show off.
    Mo power, mo problems

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Thunder View Post
    Show off.
    lol

Nez
    3rd Gear

Status
    Show off.
    Lol so is it worth it and also is the intercooler be fine with higher boost because it has repaired?
    Last edited by Nez; 12th September 2009 at 18:53.
    (Audi S4 351.9 PS, 603 Nm, MRC Custom Remap XS Power DP's, Cat Back Exhaust, Forge DV, RS4 Intercoolers, RS4 Breaks and Induction kit)

Nez
    3rd Gear

Status
    Here is some picture of it and by look of the intercoolers I don't like it

What you guys think it looks black is it because of the repair or something wrong with them?

2nd Gear

Status
    they're black to be discreet, but the side thats mangled looks a bit nasty to me so after the cost of a proper repair and then having to trust them although you'd be putting less boost psi through them than a tuned rs4 would your gonna be looking at 100 minimum to repair i would say so they not so cheap then are they?
    Last edited by s4marsh; 13th September 2009 at 00:45.

Nez
    3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s4marsh View Post
    they're black to be discreet, but the side thats mangled looks a bit nasty to me so after the cost of a proper repair and then having to trust them although you'd be putting less boost psi through them than a tuned rs4 would your gonna be looking at 100 minimum to repair i would say so they not so cheap then are they?
    I don't like the side of them too and I am worried when I go for the RS4 setup then I might get problem with them

2nd Gear

Status
    yeah if you go rs4 spec new ones would give you peace of mind. you've just got rid of your boost leaks and you know the effect they have

6th Gear

Status
    I'd say that's a very good price. I paid over 300 for mine, then had to buy shrouds for an additional 80-90. If they've been pressure tested after the repair then what is there to worry about?

2nd hand intercoolers are always going to be a bit of a mess. Only takes a few small stones travelling at over 100mph to dent the cooling fins.

They will still represent a big improvement in cooling over your standard ones, and i'll bet if you take your bumper off you'll find yours are in pretty much the same condition as well.
    Mo power, mo problems

Nez
    3rd Gear

Status
    I'd say that's a very good price. I paid over 300 for mine, then had to buy shrouds for an additional 80-90. If they've been pressure tested after the repair then what is there to worry about?

2nd hand intercoolers are always going to be a bit of a mess. Only takes a few small stones travelling at over 100mph to dent the cooling fins.

They will still represent a big improvement in cooling over your standard ones, and i'll bet if you take your bumper off you'll find yours are in pretty much the same condition as well.
    This is the reply I get from the seller

"Hi Nez
    The intercoolers are in perfect working and have just got general wear on them. Every used intercooler has got wear. I would not sell something that is no good and I can assure you they work as they should with no leaks. I know they don't look brilliant but this is why they are cheap. If you want a mint set you would be looking a lot more than what I am asking.
    Once you receive them I would strongly advice you to get them pressure tested by someone who deals with Intercoolers so you can see yourself that nothing is wrong with them. It should be FREE or no more than 5 to get them tested
    This will give you piece of mind before fitting them.
    It is up to you anyway
    thank you"

I will go for this as its not bad price should I get the pipes with it or I can use my S4 hose pipe kit the one that I bought from ebay

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    It looks to me like the Rad recon service he used repaired and painted/coated them black to look the part.

As long as the repair was done by a proper place and isn't just a wodge of blue tack then it's a bargain.

Nez
    3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan A4 View Post
    It looks to me like the Rad recon service he used repaired and painted/coated them black to look the part.

As long as the repair was done by a proper place and isn't just a wodge of blue tack then it's a bargain.
    The guy says that as been repaired and pressure tested so I have to go with his word and see what happens any ways I send the money and lets waiting now for it to come

Onething how hard is it to fit them can I do it or as anyone fit it them to their cars and can give me some hands

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    if they are pressure tested find out to what pressure and get a written warranty (even if it is a month). if he is not willing to do that then walk.
    fins are easily bent back into shape but a repair is going to cost you teh same again.
    would you not be better saving a few more quid and getting some better aftermarket SMIC's? at least they will be new and not repaired.

forget what brand the RS4 boys use

1st Gear

Status
    wagner are uprated over the RS4 ones, but are close to 1k with the shiney carbon shrouds.

CX racing do copies of the wagner items for around 500USD but then you have shipping costs etc to add on.
    Imola S4 - Bilstein B6 + Eibach Prokit, Anthracite BBS Pescara 18x7.5"

2nd Gear

Status
    there are quite a few custom intercooler fabrication places about and i think you'd get a pleasant surprise at what they'd charge.i'm sure i got quoted about 460 for some locally made. as for fitting them yourself, if your ok taking the front bumper off which is the hardest bit i thought and a few other bit and bobs you'll be ok.someone will soon bail you out if you get stuck but check that someone is local first before you start

1st Gear

Status
    Mine are for sale as well (not repaired). IC's + shrouds (cut for S4 bumper) 250 ono
    MY2000 Audi S4
    Ebony Pearl
    CXRacing FMIC
    RS4 Downpipes
    RS4 brakes
    Miltek Dual
    Vogtland CO
    K04's
    Lowered CR & MRC Magic......
    (RS4 ICs 4 sale - check classifed)

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnya View Post
    Mine are for sale as well (not repaired). IC's + shrouds (cut for S4 bumper) 250 ono
    What state are they in matey? Does the bumper have to be cut out aswell to suit? Would I have to lose the (pretty hopeless) foglights or not?

Are you going for a FMIC? I looked into it briefly and some kits mean that I would lose the aircon

6th Gear

Status
    The S4 bumper doesn't need to be cut to fit RS4 intercoolers.

You don't have to remove the foglights either, but a lot of people (myself included) do to remove the 'obstruction' in the airflow to the coolers.
    Mo power, mo problems

Fully Certified Detailer!!

Status
    be honest DAN do you use the aircon much?? its not as if we need air con in this country.

if you lose the aircon then you lose summin that has quite a bit of weight and summin that drinks petrol so losing the AC is a winner in my books. just my opinion though, i could be wrong

6th Gear

Status
    loosing AC? youll save 15-20kg on a car that weighs 1550-1600kg.

picking peanuts out of dog poo springs to mind! one of the reasons im switching to an s4 is because i want something sensible and civilised, ive grown tired of the bear basics golf gti

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    What state are they in matey? Does the bumper have to be cut out aswell to suit? Would I have to lose the (pretty hopeless) foglights or not?

Are you going for a FMIC? I looked into it briefly and some kits mean that I would lose the aircon
    ICs are fine. Shrouds are cut for fit the S4 bumper profile. You'll need some pipework and
    the lock carrier will need to be trimmed but that's pretty straight forward - I used a
    reciprocating saw. The ad is still in the classifieds I think, more detail in there.

I fitted a CXRacing FMIC hence these are surplus.
    MY2000 Audi S4
    Ebony Pearl
    CXRacing FMIC
    RS4 Downpipes
    RS4 brakes
    Miltek Dual
    Vogtland CO
    K04's

Nez
    3rd Gear

Status
    Can any garage fit the RS4 intercooler or do they have to know how to fit a RS4 intercooler into S4

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt82 View Post

picking peanuts out of dog poo springs to mind! one of the reasons im switching to an s4 is because i want something sensible and civilised, ive grown tired of the bear basics golf gti
    wot im sayin is if you want to have a FMIC but are worried about losing the AC then thats fine but i think AC is overrated and be honest.....how many people actually use AC in britain, not as if we have boiling summers or roll around in 30degree heat, theres always the windows to go down lol

if you want FMIC then forget the AC

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez View Post
    Can any garage fit the RS4 intercooler or do they have to know how to fit a RS4 intercooler into S4
    try QST around your way, see wot they say.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by S4twiggy View Post
    wot im sayin is if you want to have a FMIC but are worried about losing the AC then thats fine but i think AC is overrated and be honest.....how many people actually use AC in britain, not as if we have boiling summers or roll around in 30degree heat, theres always the windows to go down lol

Aircon isn't just for the summer, it helps defrost your windows in the winter too, especially in the rain. I wouldn't be without mine as i prob use it more in the colder weather than the warm TBH

6th Gear

Status

i love my old golf so much but im looking to get rid because i want AC. when you dont have it youll realise how good it is

1st Gear

Status
    You don't lose the AC with an FMIC anyway. You lose one very small fan. So far, I haven't
    noticed any difference.
    MY2000 Audi S4
    Ebony Pearl
    CXRacing FMIC
    RS4 Downpipes
    RS4 brakes
    Miltek Dual
    Vogtland CO
    K04's

6th Gear

Status
    The S4 bumper doesn't need to be cut to fit RS4 intercoolers.

You don't have to remove the foglights either, but a lot of people (myself included) do to remove the 'obstruction' in the airflow to the coolers.
    Excellent

Yeah, that 430bhp one I twatted on about had those 'Canadian' grilles. Suppose I could do that and keep the fogs for if I ever sell the car.

be honest DAN do you use the aircon much?? its not as if we need air con in this country.

if you lose the aircon then you lose summin that has quite a bit of weight and summin that drinks petrol so losing the AC is a winner in my books. just my opinion though, i could be wrong
    I use the aircon very regularly indeed yeah.

I HATE hot weather!!!! lol............very sensitive to it. I'm a lot calmer in the cool air

Also, it's not only me in the car. Rachel and my wee boys wouldn't thank me for removing the aircon when we're sitting in endless traffic on the M6, roasting hot July days with a heat-haze coming off the tarmac, faces going from pink to red..............all in the pursuit of a few extra bhp. It's our second family car.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt82 View Post

Totally agree.

This S4 will NEVER end up like my stripped-out Astra.

And a further point is that generally speaking, removing the aircon would massively limit the market for when I come to sell the car.
    Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 14th September 2009 at 14:54.

6th Gear

Status
    You don't lose the AC with an FMIC anyway. You lose one very small fan. So far, I haven't
    noticed any difference.
    Ahh, maybe that's what I read

Your aircon/climate still works as normal then?
    Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 14th September 2009 at 15:06.

Nez
    3rd Gear

Status
    As guys know that I bought a Audi S4 hose kit and I wanted to know will this kit fit into RS4 intercoolers?

http://i16.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/56/5c/71f1_35.JPG
    Last edited by Nez; 17th September 2009 at 21:25.

6th Gear

Status
    The lower hoses for the RS4 coolers are different I think as they are a slightly bigger diameter. Not sure about the top ones.
    Mo power, mo problems

1st Gear

Status
    The RS4 IC outlets (upper and lower) require 2.5" ID piping. The offside lower
    charge pipe is also different on the RS4 (longer). See my thread in the classifieds for
    more details :-)
    MY2000 Audi S4
    Ebony Pearl
    CXRacing FMIC
    RS4 Downpipes
    RS4 brakes
    Miltek Dual
    Vogtland CO
    K04's

Nez
    3rd Gear

Status
    charge pipe is also different on the RS4 (longer). See my thread in the classifieds for
    Linke please

2nd Gear

Status

Nez
    3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks

6th Gear

Status
    Do you have any actual pictures of the IC's and shrouds?

Cheers,

Paul.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    Do you have any actual pictures of the IC's and shrouds?

Cheers,

Paul.
    I'll see If I can get some.

Jon
    MY2000 Audi S4
    Ebony Pearl
    CXRacing FMIC
    RS4 Downpipes
    RS4 brakes
    Miltek Dual
    Vogtland CO
    K04's