Has this car been clocked?

d4mo

Reaction score
Surely anyone looking at the car would notice that the MOT cert mileage didnt match up with the dash display?

Is this the sort of thing that should be reported to the DVLA ?

Perhaps give the guy a call and see what he says? If he insists its on 145k then it might be an idea to report it to the DVLA/VOSA/Police etc.

He might turn round and say "oh sorry its actually on 245 i made a typo" or whatever.

Try and get it from their mitts at a good price?

Possibly is just a typing error..

Although it definitely isn't in Russia or wherever it was meant to be going!?!

I think there's some kind of blag going on here.

The fact that on the autotrader advert it states 'Full Service History' got me thinking it might not have been a typo, although I guess dieselfitter has done a lot of the recent servicing himself and would have kept the receipts possibly!?. Unfortunately I cant ring the seller at the moment to try and confirm/catch him out coz im at work and am not allowed :-(

I think they just saw it as a bargain and are now trying to sell it for what they think its worth.

Its listed as a trade item on autotrader.

The car was on 250k+ though, so its quite a big typo. If it had been on 245k then that might be possible...

I too am interseted as to what the outcome of this is.

As how would they suddenly obtain a FSH and appropriate MOT

Even if they've altered the papers the VOSA database will still say 250K!!
How many people bother to check a sub £2000 car ? Service books are commonly available and dealer stamps are a tenner on ebay ! There are soo many dodgy traders out there i am amazed the police does'nt do nothing about it ! In Germany they get up to 10 years in prison for clocking, here they wont get 6 months probation !

Only contact numbers are mobiles is a good start. If it was dieselfitters mota, and its not a typo, I'd shop these guy/s no question. Last MOT should raise a few questions I would have thought?

I would have thought the police or trading standards? If dieselfitter knows its the same guys and its a private sale, the offence breaks the Theft Act 1968. If their trade its the Trade Descriptions Act 1968.

ive always hated traders and this is just one reason why

you could vagcom it for the mileage, its stored in a different place in the ecu.

Surely anyone looking at the car would notice that the MOT cert mileage didnt match up with the dash display?

Is this the sort of thing that should be reported to the DVLA ?

Man you have to report this to police or DVAL these people I think are people who buys cheap higher milleage cars and then they lower the milleage and sell it for better money :(

it says 145,000 twice, so i dont think its a typo, if it is dieselfitters car then its been clocked i would say.

God you think thats bad, I was looking at mk5's & 8P's in Italy for the missus & did some scans with vagcom at a very reputable dealer, I scanned 3 cars & all of them had been clocked & when we asked the guy about 1 golf he said oh yeah we changed the engine, ah forgot to mention that did we, lying bar steward, what about the others cars then that are clocked, typical & given the way italians are it would be considered an insult to say they were clocking them illegally so no italians would question them, also the warranty is with them so they would cover everything so no one is the wiser, blatantly the whole setup is for high mileage cars, albeit nice ones but thats why they get them so cheap nice but high mileage & clock back & sell for thousands more, couldnt beleive it all of them tbh, thank me lucky star for vagcom.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tour/applications_screen.html

Some further info for you, but its not possible on all cars unfortunately, I know when I tested on an older car it didnt work, you could try doing a scan which should show mileage & see if it shows the same mileage as the cluster, but I need to check if older cars mileage on the cluster also shuttled down to ecu or if ecu didnt hold mileage anyway so not definitive enough for older cars if been clocked, need to investigate further.