quattro gearbox and diff oils

Matt82

Reaction score
hi there

i dont own an s4 yet, but im working on it. given the ones im seeing are all over 100k miles, im after info on gearbox and diff oil on these things

how are the fill and drain points for accessibility? what do audi charge for the fluids?

The gear oil is 75w90 synthetic stuff, you can get it at most factors without much trouble.

Diff takes the same.

Drain on the gearbox is a large 12spline with a security pin, and is directly under the middle of it. Fill hole on mine was a 17mm female hex iirc (like an allen key) and is mounted above and to the left of the nearside front driveshaft.

Diff fill and drain plugs are both 10mm female hex i think.

thanks mate

any idea on capacity and whether the centre diff needs and special treatment?

id end up getting the fluids from audi (or hopefully VW as i get nice discounts there) or from fuchs/millers

Changed the 'box on mine last weekend.....
Hopefully it only requires the 2.75 litres..... or my center diff is toast now.... eek!
Checked a few places Halfords and Elsawin, they say 2.75 litres.... of the 75 - 90w
There is a level/fill plug on one side next to the one of the drive shafts.
For the tool, I found the drain plug really tight, so using the proper tool may be a wise idea......I found one here - not much and it came the next day :)

http://www.drapertools.com/b2c/b2citmdsp.pgm?pp_skmno=63476

Audi wanted lots for the oil, though, if you want get the reg number speak to your local stealer who can tell you a bit more about the box type....
One thing you might want to find out.... is when/if the clutch has been changed book time on a quattro is about 6.5 hours..... and its not a nice just on the driveway either!
Michael

The haynes shows a method of making a "dipstick" the check the box is full. the oil level should be about 7mm below the fill hole.

FWD boxes take 2.75L, i would imagine a quattro box would take more.

Centre diff is part of the main tranny, so you dont need seperate oil for it.