ebay K04 replacement

S4twiggy

Fully Certified Detailer!!
Reaction score
looks like i have a turbo going on my S4
icon_cry.gif

found these on ebay and was wondering wot are they like?
are they replaceable for my S4 as i want to upgrade to K04 if my turbos are going. has anyone advice on wot K04's to go for?
are there cheap ones i should avoid and wot work entales on having them replaced????

ebay item number 400063596759

thats a shame mate ,after the money that you have spent so far ,does this mean that you have to take the engine out to replace them ,think that what iv read.
hope all goes well mate

yea its a big job mate, engine out and thats where the money comes in. im looking at big oney on this one. not a happy bunny.

im sure i can sort it with some good advice off a few people.

cheers mate

Yep, engine out job, I'm afraid.

Some of the cheap eBay K04's are Chinese knock-offs, or so I'm told.

here comes the tuners dilema... i was thinkin a new clutch was maybe due so if thats an engine out job (as it is) then is it worth doing the turbo's too :( where does it end!!

for the time and money it takes to fit i would go for genuine if possible but also look at the garrett alternatives . If i did this again i would go garrett .
Other thing is while the engine is out you will prob want to upgrade other things aswell . I would say £5000 all in wouldnt be far off.

Go on then andybnwc....indulge us! whats da £5000 breakdown?, is that purely your turbo conversion plus trimmings? then plus the price of a clutch...
obviosl not official prices just an idea?

id rather not its a bit late but yes turbos , intake pipes, rs4 clutch,flywheels,engine mounts ,fitting then at a push some rs4 intercoolers fueling and a custom remap.

I may be wrong but cant be far off

do not buy the turbos from ebay - buy from a reputable place with full warranty and confirm that the turbos are genuine

some members off audisrs are onto 3 rd sets of turbos due to poor turbos being supplied in the first place - do the sums on that and it is clear skimping on parts is a false economy

Ebay cheap knock off are crap and loads of people have had issue with them so look for OEM items even buying used or dead K04's and having them rebuilt would be a better option then buying the ebay crap.

I agree with docurley.. I'd get a pair of dead K04s and have them rebuilt.

If you have the cabbage get an upgrade.. hybrid or Garrett etc.

better than i thought then suppose theres a high shipping fee on those cause of the weight etc but still a good deal

I know where there are a possible pair of good K03's were refurbed not long before the car was written off.

I can check for you or forward you the number?

Might as well upgrade from K03s while the engine is out though surely?.. I'd kick myself if I'd had the engine out and gone for K03s only to find I wanted more power as time passes and had to have the engine out again.

Lee, well it's the difference in cost thats the problem. A pair of good Ko3's can be had for say £400, and the Ko4s are considerably more money, then you have the mods needed to make them work properly, it all depends what Grant needs.

He may just have a breather issue, or she could just be seeping, afterall the DV and pipe may never have been removed in it's life. My old K03 was a seaper, performed fine, just used a drop of oil...

Last edited:
Sorry I assumed by the sig etc that big power was on the cards which would indicate bigger turbos.. if not then obviously K03s will be much cheaper.

just keep your eye out for deals and wait till they break , they may last a lot longer than you keep the car you never know

Sorry I assumed by the sig etc that big power was on the cards which would indicate bigger turbos.. if not then obviously K03s will be much cheaper.

you got it right lee, if the engine is out then i may aswel go K04 but i need to find out wot is wrong 1st like mark said it mite be a breather problem.

mark the DV in question is a new one replaced about 4mnths ago, its a 710N and the other is a 710A.......would this be a problem or does it not matter??? someone on SRS said about replacing the PCV valve and running a catch tank......i have no idea wot the PCV valve is and where and i dunno wot a catch tank is and where to put one???

money is tight right now as my BBS CH have taken all my cash but it looks like my *** will be saving for a while then, hope my turbo holds out

loiter round RS246 SRS for the guys swapping them out.
contact MRC and Unit 20 for any of the turbos they have removed in the process of their builds.
You may be able to get a pair of KO3s's or even KO4's cheaper than you think and have them recon'd

One of my K03s went pop at the start of the year. Grizz at unit20 did the work for me and did a fine job. When the K03s were taken off, BOTH had cracks in the exhaust housing near the wastegates. They were both scrap. I dont think turbo dynamics will touch them if they have cracks in the housing and you are looking at 600 per unit to rebuild properly....hence i went with K04s :D

ive had some advice frm my main man so ill be monitoring the DV closely to see wot happens, i have no sign of the turbo goin(dentist drill sound, blue smoke out the back,no lack of performance) so ill following these closely. if they are gone then K04's would be the replacement no doubt